Provider Help

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by col300, Oct 5, 2009.

1. col300

col300 New Member

Hi,

Just after some advice with regards to which training provider to opt for. Having spoken to a few different ones I am leaning towards Computeach.

I already have a H.N.D in Computing (Business Information Technology) and am looking for the quickest way to get the Database Administrator Certification (MCTS 70-231, MCITP 70-443 & 444).

I have spoken to Seek Learning, who has said that the fastest they have had someone through this course is 6 weeks! I am not expecting to complete it this fast but would be hoping to attain this within 6 months. I will have a study time of approx 30 hours a week. This sounds appealing due to the fact there is no subscription, however exam cost is not included in the price.

Basically what I'm worried about with Computeach (with it being a 12 month subscription) is if I have to complete units that are unnecessary with regards to the exams (effectively prolonging the course). The appealing thing about Computeach was that the exam cost is included with the price.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two providers or can offer any advice on the above?

Thanks,

Colin.

2. col300

col300 New Member

Just to add - This will be depending on the outcome of my redundancy consultation today in the hope that they will pay for it. If not, i will be taking the self study route.

Cheers.

Col.

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you take a look at the other posts in this subforum, you will find DOZENS of reviews about providers (including those you are curious about) and the potential pitfalls of selecting a training provider. I'd urge you to take the time to look at them before throwing your hard-earned money at them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

If they are gonna pay for it then fair enough, go for it.
    But otherwise i would go the self study route, i have learned through my own mistakes unfortunately.
    I signed up with a training provider, they offered me a "Great deal" so i took out a bank loan to pay for it without researching it at all, and i realised after that i could have bought the study material that i paid £1500 for about £50 and bypassed any training provider.

One of the things that sold it to me was they offered a guaranteed pass or they would buy the course back!
    The terms of the pass guarantee were that i complete the ECDL, A+, N+, and MCDST within a year!
    I was told by the salesman this was easily feasible even with no previous experience of computers like i had and after i complete my training i will walk into job paying a salary of around £35,000!
    what im saying is ignore any stats or figures any training company throw at you as all they are interested is getting a nice cheque from you!

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

And did a pig fly passed the window when he said that? :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I don't get this whole 'fastest' thing.
    What's going to happen?
    Why not do it properly?

If you decided on a career as a brain surgeon, do you think that your objective would be to cram through the course as fast as possible then rush off and start cutting people's heads open?

And don't kid yourself that you'll be studying 30 hours a week.
    It doesn't happen. You'll fry your brain.
    When you're trying to learn something you need time to absorb what you're doing.
    Then you'll check your email and have a quick game of tetris and make a cup of coffee.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

Yes a pig did fly past the window, in a helicopter no less!
    But i had been having a strange day and thought nothing of it :biggrin

Although i didnt believe the guy about the salary, i did believe him about me being able to complete the courses in a year, and looking back now i was an idiot to not research it further and look in places like this where people could have pointed me in the right direction.
    But hey if there are people in the same boat as me and they read threads like this that helps them make the right choices then thats all good.

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  8. ian5578

ian5578 New Member

I'm a bit iffy about these home study companies, lets go back to good old skillstrain, £2750 they quoted me for A+N+ and ccna. i've been up mountains that weren't as steep!!! Plus after a quick look on Google, reading some reviews on here and then the infamous watchdog clip was the nail in the coffin for me!

Also had contact with seek learning, bit more reasonable, £1795 for N+/MCDST and CCNA, although he quoted the prce before i told him what course i was interested in btw!

what i've done instead, is have a look on file sharing websites, (mininova/isohunt etc, yes i know its "lleagal" but its cheap! :twisted:) and you can download most of the training materials you'll need off them, got the A+ study guide 6th editon PDF by Mr Myers with a load of testout software.

Well no idea if anything i've written helps anyone else, i just got really bored after work today!