Protect my external hard drive against viruses

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by asian_100, Apr 7, 2008.

1. asian_100

asian_100 Bit Poster

Hi ppl

I wanted to know how I could protect my new external 500 gb hard drive against viruses that could get to my hard drive if I attach my external hard drive to unprotected (no security software) computer?

I know I should be fine with a antivirus installed on home computer, which I attach my external hard drive to. But is there any anitivurs sofwtare that is specially designed for portable devices and a software that has active security shield that runs automatically on portavble device.

Thanks

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You could try wrapping the drive in a condom I suppose.

Seriously though, how do you expect such a thing to operate? AV needs a processor and RAM (not mentioning a functional OS to base itself off) to operate. How would that work on a portable HDD? Any AV software will extend its protection to usb drives once they are part of the system, but its physically impossible for AV to operate off the HDD itself.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. asian_100

asian_100 Bit Poster

hahaa thanks for the advise fergal, good humour lol

4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

or just leave it unpluged :p, also keeping in it original packing will make it more secure(ever wondered what security tape really does)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. panosd

panosd Bit Poster

i'd have to agree with the other two posters. your best bet is to have a copy of something free like avast or avg on your drive and try to convince the person you're sharing files with to install it. either that or perform a full scan with your own AV software when you get home