Prometric confirms March Retirement of MCDST

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by millsie, Feb 7, 2011.

1. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

I have just received this email back from Prometric after getting nowhere with Microsoft:

Dear Candidate,

Thank you for your email.

Please be informed that the Microsoft exams 070-272 and 070-271 will retire on March 31, 2011. For further updates on the retirement of MC exams , you are requested to check with Microsoft directly.

Should you require assistance from one of our Customer Service Representatives, please call one of our toll-free numbers, which are listed under Prometric contact details at www.prometric.com.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Candidate Care
    Prometric
    Noorderwagenplein 6
    8223 AL–Lelystad
    The Netherlands

So it appears that regardless of what Microsoft are saying, the MCDST exams will not be available to take after 31/03 as you will not be able to book for after these dates anyway.

Not happy with this at all considering it says 30/06 on Microsoft website. Why the hell is there this confusion?:x

I have now re-emailed Microsoft with this info, will keep you all updated.

FYI

Steveo

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
    Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have just spoken to Peter vander somebody at prometric and they have it down as 31st March however after I told him that it says June on the Microsoft website he is calling his program designation team to investigate. He also says that if Microsoft are saying its June then prometric will change their program to retire the MCDST in June.

Originally the MCDST was to retire in March but Microsft changed it to June and obviously prometric have not had the update. I will keep an eye on it.

Just so you know prometric cannot decide to retire an exam on their own they need the backing of Microsoft to do it, they are only a company who hosts microsoft exams they do not write them.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I wish we could get this 100% confirmed as I dont want to try and rush and sit both exams at the sametime.

I hope it is june as it is a cert i would really like to get under my belt.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  4. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Nice one Greenbrucelee, will keep locked in to check, can't believe we may be responsible for getting this changed lol!

cheers:)

5. greenbrucelee

It has to be cockup on Prometrics side as they will have been told about the retirement date originally but it may have got lost that Microsoft had changed it to June. I am also going to email them with a link the Microsoft page so they will send me confirmation too as I have a work collegue who wants to get the MCDST done too.

6. greenbrucelee

I have emailed them to say that I had spoken to one of their reps and that I would like confirmation of retirement dates.

7. greenbrucelee

I have just gone through various websites and MS chat support. The exams were March 31st but due to continous market support for windows xp the exams will now be retired on June 30th (this is from MS chat support) so now we need prometric to get into gear.

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Let's see... between Microsoft and Prometric, one of them actually creates the certification program, and one of them merely delivers the exams. I wonder which one has more accurate information? :hhhmmm

:biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Make's you wonder though at the material difference.

If it is not retired but not available to you to sit at your test centers then....?

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  10. greenbrucelee

I recieved an email this morning from prometric saying the matter has been escalated to a severe incident team whatever that is. Sounds like somebody hasn't been taking notice :D

11. BosonMichael

...then someone's fallen asleep at the wheel. Considering my previous statement, you can guess which one is more likely to have messed something up...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. willolpl

willolpl Bit Poster

Thank you greenbrucelee and other members for looking into this situation. REP

Certifications: CompTia A+, MCP, MCDST
  13. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

So, let me get this straight. Microsoft decides to go solely with Prometric as an exam provider in order to give test takers a better experience. But, Prometric can't get stuff like this straight? Good times. :p

14. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Update guys, 1st email received from prometric:

Dear Candidate,

Thank you for your email.

Please be informed that we have escalated your query to the concerned department. Kindly allow 2-3 additional working days time in order to respond to your query.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Candidate Care
    Prometric
    Noorderwagenplein 6
    8223 AL–Lelystad
    The Netherlands

and email received today from Microsoft:

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding MCDST certification.

We understand the importance of this matter.

The official date of retirement for exam 70-271 and exam 70-272 is June 30, 2011.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know. Thank you for contacting Microsoft.

Kanika
    [email protected]
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning

Its looking like Prometric are messing up big time, if I were microsoft I would switch over to Pearson Vue! Prometric can't be trusted to keep their eye on the ball. Hoping for a positive response from Prometric very soon as to the availability of booking for these exams after 31/03.

Best,

Steveo
    :)

15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Doesn't matter who made the ****-up.....
    Small consolation when it gets to the 31st of March. The exams don't retire until the end of June but you can't book them to be taken after the end of March.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  16. BosonMichael

Not until Prometric gets their stuff together. I'm quite sure that things will be cleared up prior to April 1. If not, I'm guessing somebody's head is gonna roll.

17. gulbash

gulbash Nibble Poster

Yup, all dates greyed out after March 31st in my country to...hope prometric fix this soon...

Certifications: A+, Network +, 70-680, 70-640, 70-642
  18. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Must have been Cisco :twisted:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  19. BosonMichael

ahahahahah! :biggrin

Actually, Cisco and VUE are just sitting there on the sidelines, watching the drama unfold, as they say to one another:

[​IMG]

I think they knew something like this was eventually gonna happen... :p

20. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I think it's a plot by CompTIA to get more business.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685