Project Management

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Fresh108, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Fresh108

Fresh108 Bit Poster

How many guys here have gone into project management with these certifications. My idea is getting A+, N+ MCITP, MCSA and MSCE, whilst working in a technical role and then gradually getting to a project management role.
    How realistic does this sound? I hear a lot of people say "once you're in a technical role you'll always be the IT support guy getting your hands dirty" - not that i dont like that, but in years to come I'd like to see myself as a project manager.

What route have guys here taken?

Certifications: BSc Computer Science, A+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Why not do an MBA or similar now if you want to do management ?

3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I was a Project Manager for a number of years.

However, this was operationally rather than being solely IT based an example of work I have undertaken are getting Company A accredited with:

- BACS Bureau Status
    - ISO 9001
    - Specifications and deploying new Internal IT System
    - Integration of Client Systems with Third Parties for MIS purposes.

Have to say I enjoyed this work, but the hours are long and travelling around the UK was always an arse.

ITIL and Prince are the most recongised routes for Project Management in IT.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Fresh108

Fresh108 Bit Poster

I don't have the funds for that, and don't want to go back to uni. Im at a stage where I feel like self studying and working for cash.

5. Fresh108

Fresh108 Bit Poster

This sounds exciting. I see from your certifications that you have similar to what I will be working towards, so it seems like a positive step for me. Thank you.
    Such a great forum.

6. Fresh108

Fresh108 Bit Poster

Also I did look into prince but the website states...

The PRINCE2 Foundation course suits:
    New and experienced project staff
    People who may go on to Practitioner training
    Consultants/contract staff operating in a PRINCE2 environment
    Project Managers considering a career in a PRINCE2 environment

I dont fit into any of those categories as I have no project experience

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I actually did the Project Management stuff before entering into IT.

So the qualifications, I have got now did not help at all.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I have project managed infrastructure and server upgrades etc. at SME level but am finding now I'm job-hunting that the requriement seems to be to have experience AND PRINCE2 to at least Foundation level.

Funding that is difficult on benefits so I'm opting for the MS Project 2007 exam - 70-632 "Managing Projects with Office Project 2007" to see if that wil help on the job front.

If you want to look at PRINCE2 self study then you could try http://www.spoce.co.uk/prince2/prince2-distance-learning/info-and-prices.aspx - still not cheap but better than paying for classroom courses. The PRINCE2 book is availble at Amazon (or I got a new one from Ebay cheaper) but the exam is £160 for the Foundation.

The PRINCE2 material is also changing later this year.

HTH

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

As part of my role, I have to do some project management - however currently I'm only using what I've learnt on the job/experience as well as common sense. I've already got the ITIL v3 fdn (see my Community Profile for the rest), and later this year I'll be doing the Foundation ISEB Cert in Project Management (hopefully).

If the ISEB cert and Prince2 cert isn't for you, have you looked into the Comptia Project+ cert?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. Fresh108

Fresh108 Bit Poster

I was thinking of getting the relevant experience on board before studying for that cert. Employers may think "how can someone without the technical experience manage an IT project" or something like that. I think it'll be easier to step into with the technical experience, then later on getting that cert and boosting chances for project management.

11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You would think so wouldn't you ? Other industries very much have the work your way up approach. Unfortunately this is only just starting to happen in IT probably because IT is quite a new profession, so currently many managers do not have an IT background and come from other areas.

This isn't always a problem as long as the managers realise this fact and work to get expert advice and industry knowledge.

In fact career progression for technical people is often non existent. It you look at company boards of directors you will see lawyers, businessmen, accountants, very few engineers or scientists.