Project Management

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ukspeedster, Dec 13, 2006.

1. ukspeedster

ukspeedster Nibble Poster

Hi all,
    I just wanted to find out some information about project management/consultancy. Can anyone involved within project management be able to tell me whats expected of you in the role, what kind of experience you need, and how you get the experience?

I've just started out in IT, but was looking to progress fairly quickly into consultancy or project management. (Im working for a fairly large IT outsourcing company). Ill be taking the ITIL exam fairly soon.

As far as I know, there are 2 routes you can go down in IT, one being the technical route, involving things such as desktop/server/network support, programming, etc, and the other being consultancy/project management and service management. Is this correct?

Most jobs, in the management/consultancy field, require a few years of experience, so I just wanted to know how you gain experience to get started with, and what qualifications are required?

Thanks 8)

Certifications: BSc(Hons), ITIL, MCP
    WIP: MCSA 2003, CCNA
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi UKS

What job are you currently doing as your 'foot in the door'? With project management, it helps to have experience in hand on actual business projects - eg, if you're working 1st line, have you helped on any software/harware rollouts?

I have minor project experience so I'm starting out with the CompTIA Project+. It's neutral, it's cost effective to achieve, and you only need to pass one exam and it's yours for life.

Long term I'm looking at Prince2 as the 'next step'. I want my career to move eventually into network design. Something my new manager is well aware of and quite enthusiastic about - so my other line of advice is if you're not involved in projects tell your line manager what you want to do. And try to muscle in. You'll get experience, and they'll end up not having to pay any extra for an aspiring project manager.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA