Project Management Portfolio

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by spenge, Feb 20, 2008.

1. spenge

spenge New Member

Good Evening everyone...

I don't know if I have posted this in the right place but I couldn't really decide where would be best to put it. If it needs moving feel free to do so.

I am planning on undertaking a Prince2 course in the future to hopefully gain Practitioer status. I would like to cross train to PMP as suggested on this forum. However I am in a bit of difficulty in finding the project management experience needed. Within my current job I don't really conduct any project management and there is very little scope for me ever to.

I have heard of maybe creating a project management portfolio part time, either out of hours or taking 1-2 days a week out of work to build up the necessary experience. Has anyone has heard of such schemes and if you could point me in the right direction?

Many Thanks,

Dave

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Evening,

Just a thought, why don't you just do the Prince2 foundation and the Comptia Project+ then wait to get into Project management before finishing off with the Prince2 Practioner and the PMP cred?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. spenge

spenge New Member

That is a possibility although given my current situation and plans (http://www.certforums.com/forums/thread22775.html) I would like to complete the certification and gain experience in the shortest amount of time. I am currently in a secure job with an abundance of training resource at my disposal and would like to stay put if possible. Obviously if the only way to gain experience is to move to a more project management orientated area then so be it but I am hoping to avoid that.

Many Thanks for your speedy reply

Dave

4. Kitkatninja

Hi,

Just read the spec of the PMP, and these are the entry requirements:

1. Applicants must have 35 hours of specific project management education.
    2. With a Bachelor’s Degree (or the global equivalent): Applicants must have a minimum three years’ professional project management experience, during which 4,500 hours are spent leading and directing project tasks, up to eight years from the time of application.
    3. Without a Bachelor’s Degree (or the global equivalent): Applicants must have a minimum five years’ professional project management experience, during which at least 7,500 hours are spent leading and directing project tasks, up to eight years from the time of application.

So basically, based on your description of what you've done (job experience) & your education, you're not going to get the PMP credential.

However you may meet the entry requirements for the CAPM (depending on what you've done):

Eligibility
    Applicants must have:
    • Minimum of a high school diploma or the global equivalent
    • 1,500 hours of work on a project team or 23 contact hours of project management education

If project management is where you want to go into, you may well have to change depts/job roles.

-Ken

*ref here.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. spenge

spenge New Member

Thanks so much for the information, I can only apologise for not having the sense to look at all the info sooner!

I like the sound of the CAPM, I am under the impression that as I have a foundation degree (being the equivilant to an associate degree) that all I will need to do is 23 hours PM education and then I will become elligible. The Prince2 course should sort that out no problem.

As for the PMP, you are quite right in saying that it is quite far out of my reach. With only a Foundation Degree it will take me at least 5 years experience, which currently I have zip.

Again, Thank you for your responses they have helped me immensely.

Dave

6. Kitkatninja

No worries, and to be fair there's alot of info out there so things are bound to be missed :)

The prince2 should be ok (but I can't gurantee) as the combined Foundation/Practioners course is 5 days, see here.

Good luck with your studies, let us know how you get on.

-Ken