Programs you can't live WITH

Discussion in 'Software' started by zebulebu, Sep 25, 2007.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

In homage to the venerable post about programs that you just can't live without - I have decided to create a thread about programs you just can't live WITH.

Thread rules:

Rule 1 - Freddy is not allowed to name 'Microsoft' as a program
    Rule 2 - Any program you universally detest can be listed, but must be followed with a brief precis of why it deserves inclusion
    Rule 3 - Freddy is not allowed to name 'Microsoft' as a program

To kick things off, here are mine:

Itunes

Hey crApple - listen up. I don't OWN an IPod. I think ITunes is a piece of crap. I would, however, occasionally like to watch film previews that are only available in QuickTime format. So, as a personal favour to me and the - ooooohh, I don't know, say one billion other PC users in my position, how bout making it easy to download a copy of QuickTime WITHOUT bundling that piece of crud with it?

RealPlayer (or anything else from Real Networks)

1 - Install RealPlayer to watch stream from BBC website
    2 - Would you like to register with RealPlayer to receive annoying pop-up adverts in your system tray twenty seven thousand times a day about bands you may like because, ummm, well, everyone else likes them?
    3 - No
    4 - Heyyyy Zeb!!!! Heard the new Britney Spears track????

AOL

Just because

OK, so AOL breaks rule 2. In fact, let me write another rule - lets call it rule 4:

Rule 4 - Anyone naming 'AOL' doesn't need to put a reason

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Let's see. What was the name of that software I just can't live with? Ummm... Well, it was made by Microsoft, I think. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was made by Microsoft. Well, I'm not positive it was made by Microsoft, but I am fairly sure it was made by Micrrosoft anyway.

Now, what was it? Oh, yeah, Microsoft Windows.... :twisted: :lolbang

Well, what did ya think would happen if you flung a challenge like that in my face? :D There was no way I could resist it. :twisted:

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

C'mon Freddy, Microsoft windows is the best OS in the world:D.

But anyways back to the topic. I personally dislike Norton Anti-virus with a passion. Aside from that nothing else really.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Holy crap, you listed the three I was going to list when I saw the thread title! :ohmy

QuickTime can be dealt with by installing QuickTime Alternative.
    RealPlayer can be dealt with by installing RealAlternative.
    AOL can be dealt with by a well-placed earthquake in Dulles, VA. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Any anti-virus product/security product with "Norton" in its name, its like a parasite, it will invade your system, wrapping its horrible little tentacles or what ever parasites have round your system draining the life blood out of it until you've got no choice but to reformat your hard drive and re-install windows.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Nero - beacuse it tries to take over your life.

ZoneAlarm - gotta love the crazy little thing. 'Your mouse is attempting to communicate with your PC, do you wish to allow?' or 'A document is trying to get to your printer - be careful!'

And I really hate the little helpers that you can unwittingly install while trying to dowload something legit - like p0rn - yahoo search, google taskbar, thingy search bar, whatever.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I'm with Johnny there, anything with Nero in the title. It refuses to work the minute it gets a mere sniff of anything remotley like another CD writing package on your system, then when you do finally get it to work, you find out it has a fraction of the features it advertises then you have to fork out green for the rest of what to be honest is a load of old toss anyway. Hey, sounds like an ex girlfriend of mine to be honest.

Oh, and when it was around, Adobe Pagemaker, complete nonsense made overly complicated with crap results, everytime.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Spybot S&D - Admittedly I havent tried it lately, but when I first used it, I could use it like adaware, install, run, forget about until next time. Great! Last time I tried it, I have a bugger of a time getting it to install WITHOUT putting its pile of crap background processes onto the machine. It met with an instant dismissal to the recycle bin of my mind.

AOL - The only good thing about AOL (AIM) was made separate years ago.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

any isps email software that they send you (including but not limited to aol software)

Certifications: ECDL, OCN Level 2 HTML, A+,MCDST,70-270
    WIP: MCSA/MCSE
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oh, and I agree with Zeb about iTunes...

'Automatically manage my media' does NOT mean 'find the hidden subfolders of encrypted pr0n, convert them to quicktime and load them onto the wife's iPod as movie clips'.

Thank you very much...

:twisted:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Are you talking from experience? :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I suppose technically it is a programme, but I can certainly live without Activisions 'US Most Wanted: Dead Or Alive', quite simply the worst game I have ever seen. In fact, the only game ever that I have brought home, unwrapped, installed, played, uninstalled then thrown in the bin within 25 minutes

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  13. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I in general would say I could live without al those virusses and worms being spread by some lunatics. Without those we would not need programms like Norton, McAfee or even AVG to slow down your system just because they are scanning.

Well, it's an utopia.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

:ohmy Good Lord, man, you're throwing away money! Resell that piece of trash! :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!