Programming jobs

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Frontier, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

When applying for programming jobs and you have no experience other than courses, in your opinion would you say having an analytical working background goes in your favour or if you have worked in jobs that require alot of problem solving and the same skillsets, such as being analytical? For example, I have worked as a data analyst solving problems on large customer databases. or are employers just looking for jobs where you have gained experience in differant languages?

2. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Hi Frontier,

by 'programming jobs', could you be more specific about what kind of field you mean?

Certainly, if you've only taken courses and not gained the commercial experience, then your chances of getting a related job are slim to none.

What employers will look for is the skillset that they need, how much experience you have of it, and applications of its use. Eg, in a past job I built various systems including a document management system, risk management system, and in jobs where one of these has been relevant, interviewers have picked up on it.

Otherwise, in a non-technical capacity, departments and industries you've worked in may count in your favour, if it's relevant to a job. Apart from that, being a data analyst is such a different role from full-time programming, that you'd be better off trying to get the commercial experience in the skillset you want to develop.

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

As a programmer who frequently has to interview people a 'lack of experience' will generaly relegate you to 'very junior' status (i.e. tea-boy). Nothing wrong with that - you have to learn - and if you demonstrate the ability to learn you will advance rapidly.

Not everywhere has the the resources to do that - so it is a bit hit and miss.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+