programmer wondering what 2 do next

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by wideboy_west, Aug 15, 2006.

1. wideboy_west

wideboy_west Bit Poster

Hi all

about 10 years ago i started a computeach course in cobol which was not bad but not great. But from this i got a job in I.T. as an Informix programmer and I am still there to this day.

With JDE packages replacing our systems in about two years I need to think ahead about what to do next. I believe, but not sure we will get some JAVA and Oracle training but do not know how much.

Now not too sure about doing a MCAD with nitlc or build on JAVA with a cert in that.

Also currently trying to set a LAMP server with ubuntu an my desktop to learn some web technologies and maybe some night classes in web design as well.

I will be poping in and picking peoples brains over the coming months, hope I can help others somewhere as well.

Regards

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Welcome aboard, glad you found us. I would get as much training as i could from your employer and search the net and Amazon for training material.
    Good luck.

Is Cobol a hard language to learn?

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and Welcome to CF!:biggrin

@Boyce - nope... very high-level... more like Pascal....:oops:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I thought COBOL was the <original> language?

Si

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

COBOL wasn't the original, and it isn't certain what language can really be described as original.

However it was one of a few very early languages with a bias towards two things: Nearly english-like syntax and business orientated.

It survives today because *so* much was written with it that the legacy still is with us.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Harry,

Thanks for clearing up the COBOL query.
    Someone once commented on this forum that programmers are good at writing (in computer language) but not techies in anyway shape or form. I understand you are primarily a programmer, so how come you <understand> literally all IT things?!

Si

7. hbroomhall

Um - how do I answer that? <giggle>

Yes - I am primarily a programmer. But I'm a even bigger cynic. I see no reason to fit into any pre-conceived niche, mostly because I wouldn't fit any longer! :biggrin

Perhaps it is that I was a techie (sort-of) long before I got my hands on a programming language. I originaly trained as an electrical engineer, and later ran the service department for a well-known Hi-Fi chain, taking in a stint as a test engineer with an early cable-TV company, and later as a travelling installer for an international disco company.

Harry.

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

oh, i see. So that <foundation> has kept you keen?!

I know someone who progammes and must be good (going by his lifestyle) but couldn't put a plug on! Seriously, he recently attempted to put a shelving unit up in his house and ending up paying some <handy Andy> because he though it was out of his reach.

Si

9. hbroomhall

Actualy - that isn't far from my position. Give me something electrical, such as fitting a plug - no problem.

Something like putting up a shelf and it is a disaster! While I can do some obvious stuff around the house there are sufficient variations in how houses are built to catch me out, as I don't have the experience.

Harry.

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i remember seeing somewhere that Cobol has more lines of code in programs running in the world, even today than any other language... and to the other reason is that it would be so expensive to translate it into a more modern language today..

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  11. hbroomhall

The far bigger problem is not that it would be too expensive to translate, but that for many older suites of programs the definitive source has been lost.

This means that many departments are praying that the system will stagger on until they can perusade manglement to replace them.

One of my clients from 15 years ago was a fierce adherant to documentation and backing up of my work. After every session I would do two backups of the whole system and hand it to him.

He now admits that somewhere something went wrong, and he no longer has a buildable set of source. Oddly enough - I *do* have such a buildable set - but it doesn't seem to correspond to his. I suspect that he got someone else to 'modify' stuff at some point and he got muddled.

Harry.

12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just to bring this thread :offtopic

Welcome to CF!

Are you saying that in the last 10 years of doing your job you have never expanded your skillset?

13. wideboy_west

wideboy_west Bit Poster

No not really expanded my skillset.

Can do 4j's which is informix's GUI front end.

Learned a bit of "C" at work and VB in my own time.

I have been here 8 years and the least timed served in the development team. It's a bit dead end that's why i want to get some cutting edge skills to go somewhere else.

Only did COBOL on my computeach course, a suite of seven programs. never used it at work or again.

14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Someone commented to me recently that companies are using Programmers overseas due to cost.
    Is this true? If so, on what scale and are they any good?

Si

15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Greetings and welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+