Program needed for file sync.

Discussion in 'Software' started by nugget, Feb 29, 2008.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Anyone know of a program that will copy and synchronise files and folders while also keeping the original users permissions?

I've tried alway sync and also beyond compare and both are very good but when doing the copy or sync they both change the permissions and ownership. I need to transfer about 50GB of data to a new location and also have the changes synchronised for a short time until the new location is made active as well as keeping the original permissions.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

My favourites are rsync and mirror. Or were you looking for a specificaly Windows solution? :p

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks Harry. I wouldn't shut out rsync or even rdif but I'd rather have a windows based solution. We're actually moving away from our linux setup very soon (actually this is part of the migration) so I'd like a solution that I can take care of.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Believe it or not I found one. The features say that it synchronises the security, ownership and also auditing permissions. Hooray I thought until I saw the note at the bottom saying that both source and destination must be formatted with ntfs to copy these attributes.

The source is formatted with some sort of freaky ext3 format thanks to linux.:x

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hm - I hadn't realized that you were moving from ext3 (which is a good fs IMHO :p ) to Windows.

AFAIK there is no 'perfect' mapping of permissions between the two worlds, particularly if people have been 'creative' in their use, so you will have to accept some compromise. In addition there are file format and character-set issues.

I don't envy you the job!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

That sort of migration can cause more problems than it resolves, and permission crawl will not get the chance to be cleaned up in the process
    personally I would of deployed the users groups and folder structure, assigned required group / user permissions to the structure then moved the files over clean

more work now
    less work down the line
    cleaner, leaner permission structure

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for the input guys.

Ryan, I might just go with that idea. I was looking for a quick way to do it as I don't really have time to mess around. One problem with this is that the users don't know what they want and what they want to do with it. Getting a decision on anything like this is very painful.