Profile issues

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by zxspectrum, Jan 21, 2015.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hey all

We have issues every now and then with users logging onto thin clients, they get the temp profile issue and it wont let them log on etc. We have 2 ways of doing it, one is to go onto the terminal server they are pointing too, then go start > right click my computer, select properties, click advanced and then click the settings for user profiles. This can take ages to load, but then you select the relevant user who is having the issue and then delete. This works a lot of the time but when it doesn't we have to do this

http://www.kreslavsky.com/2009/03/delete-windows-user-profile-in-registry.html

Now this takes even longer and when you are scrolling down the names are not in alphabetical order so you have to check one by one by one which can take a while to find the correct profile, and you are in the registry which is never a good idea.

Does anyone have any pointers to a script using a batch file or powerhsell file they know of so I could run it and delete etc ???

Thanks

Eddie

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Anything that could be causing this? AV login scan perhaps? Is the thin client basically a RDP session onto a server?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. zxspectrum

Not that I can think of, I will rule out AV as we aren't getting reports at in in regards to that. As you said yes the thin client is an RDP session to the server. Normally one issue that would not let them log on is when they have just shut the machine down and not logged off properly, for that we delete directly from task manager and look at the users still logged on etc, we would get a disconnect message from that particular user and also other users and then log them off manually.

Its random but 2 students that I can think of from the top of my head are coming back quite frequently, this can be a month, 2 weeks or days the time period is very random and we seem to have narrowed it down to , and they would have logged off properly as I have checked. One thing we have also implemented is to delete the user profile after 30 days if they are inactive, however i get the feeling that this wont solve the issue???

Ed

4. Sparky

Where is the profile located? Is it a TS profile located on a network share somewhere?

As an example I have two terminal servers setup for a customer - when a user logs in they get a TS profile from a network share. However if they logon to a PC they get a standard roaming profile. It means there is no issue of a roaming profile moving between a server and a desktop OS.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. zxspectrum

I thought I would have a picture on my phone of the message but I don't. However i know that when they cant log on to a thin client, they have no trouble logging onto a normal desktop pc. So from that they must be getting a TS profile, which makes sense, as we can delete that and it doesn't affect any of the services on the PC side

Ed

6. Sparky

Possible to purge all cached profiles overnight?

7. zxspectrum

I think ATM we are going with the 30 day purge, will have to wait and see what that does.

8. Sparky

Afteryou purge the profiles I take it the profile is then downloaded again from a shared location? If this is the case remember you will be downloading the profile with this issue again. May explain why two users seem to have this issue more than others.

9. zxspectrum

No Sparky, it creates a whole new one, as i go on to the server that their terminal is pointing too.

I hope im making sense here. As maybe on the others it could be corrupted and getting dragged across that way?? I cant think of anyway to describe it.

As we have various Thin Clients around the campus, each section will log into a session, now they could be in one room one day and another the next, who is too say that they may be doing something that we havent seen, but they dont realise as well, and then the continue the next time they log on unaware and then they come to us??

Its a strange one

Ed

10. Sparky

It sounds like a local profile is being created on the server itself then. If it was roaming then it would be in shared location and also a cached copy on the TS. So if you delete the cached profile on the TS then the same profile would be downloaded again from the shared location.

How many terminal servers are you running?

11. zxspectrum

8 I think

12. Sparky

Do all students logon to all 8 servers?

13. zxspectrum

No, but that could be starting point in looking at why these 2 particular students have regular issues???

Im assuming you meant over the course of the week or day etc??? They will have a mix of PC and Thin Client logging session?

Ed

14. Sparky

Yeah - basically if they logon to terminal server 1 on Monday then log off, when they logon to another terminal server (say terminal server 2) - if it is a roaming terminal server profile then it may have the same issue as it is being downloaded from a shared location.

If this is the case then it would be best to rename the profile on the shared location and then remove all cached profiles on all the terminal servers.

15. Sparky

Do they definitely have a separate terminal server profile from what they use on the PCs?

16. zxspectrum

Yes, they must have as when they cant log onto the Thin Client, they can log onto the PC, without any issue, one thing I cant distinguish is if they can log onto another terminal server when they are having the profile issue, So if they cant get onto terminal one, can they get onto terminal 2 ect. My thinking on that is would it be limited to a single TS or all terminal servers?? The logging onto a pc as you will know creates a local profile, and if they have had this issue before and not logged onto a particular PC, then it will take longer but still log them on??

I hope that makes sense Sparky

Ed

17. Sparky

It does make sense – would be best to confirm how the TS profiles are setup. Also confirm if a user is having problems logging into one TS or all of them.