Professional Status, how many do we have here?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Kitkatninja, Oct 28, 2009.

?

Professional registration/status

Poll closed Nov 28, 2009.
  1. CITP (Chartered IT Professional).

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. ICTTech (ICT Technician).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. CEng (Chartered Engineer).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. IEng (Incorporated Engineer).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. EngTech (Engineering Technician).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (Please state).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Working towards one in the near future (please state).

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  8. Not working towards one/no need for one.

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi All,

Like the title asks: Professional Status, how many do we have here?

I'm not asking about qualifications/certifications like the MCSE, MCSA, MCDST, BSc, NVQ, etc... But Professional registrations that a person has to be assessed for like the CITP, CEng, IEng, ICTTech, EngTech, etc...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

I chose working towards*

I never finished college or went to uni so my educational grades aren't really up to scratch... That's actually the reason I went for the IT certifications; to counter my young nieveness. I have got it in my mind to do a part time degree in a computer related subject (looking about for some form of security/pentesting modules but cannot find anything) so that it won't hold me back further down the line. I don't know too much about degrees / professional status' but I aim to be content(for a while) in my certification path around january, so I shall take a look into it then.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Do you not class MBCS as Professional Ken, or does that sit under other?

4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I (personally) don't think it's acknowledged as a 'step towards' CITP - all the other accreditations are seen as 'stepping stones' to the next - ICTTech / EngTech -> IEng -> CEng

I don't perceive the same progression (though it probably exists) between AMBCS -> MBCS -> CITP. This is because the nominals for the first two intimate a direct relationship to the BCS, with only the CITP marking you out as an 'IT Professional'.

I correlate 'MBCS' with the IET status of 'MIET' - simply a member of the organisation.

Following on from that ramble, I am 'working towards' IEng. I think I clear the requirements for ICTTech, so it's just a matter of getting together my evidence and having the spare money to make the application.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

There are a LOT of security themed IT degrees around at the moment as security has been 'flavour of the month' for a few years now.

There are even degrees made up largely of EC-Council or SANS institute certifications.

Of course the value of these courses is unproven as employers are likely to want experience for security jobs, but they do exist for those that want to take them.

Many are offered as part-time Masters, which might make sense to mature students with experience interested in security.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

This is exactly what I've found in the places I've worked. You are much more likely to get your first Security Analyst role with not only a generic Computer Science degree, but also having worked in 2nd or 3rd line for a year or two.

A Masters in IT Security then being the icing on the cake of your career after you've done it for a few years, and even then after doing your CISSP (if you qualify).

Just my thoughts, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs