PRODUCT KEY WIN 98

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by purplejade, Nov 9, 2007.

1. purplejade

purplejade Nibble Poster

Hi Guys,

I have an old packard bell win 98 pulsar 366 , which was moaning while loading new drivers for NIC..and I decided to give it fresh legs by formatting the hard drive and reinstalling win 98 from the dreaded master CD 1 and 2 that you recieve with the purchase..all went fine until the registration.. of product key, I was okay as I had an original product id key that came on microsoft certificate... however the integers dont seem to fit the spaces provided while registring the key...? there are five spaces to fill with a - between them and the product id key that I have havent got enough characters.. I tried loading the system in dos mode from bootable disk and running diagplus.exe, but then I realized that diagplus will only bring the key if windows is registred previously.. not if its a clean install before registration..

could any of you guys have any ideas how to go around this prob...
    I dont think packard bell will help me here as the system was brought in 98...they wouldnt give a damn...

Certifications: CCNA N+
    WIP: A+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If the recovery disk came with the original machine, then it will not work correctly if any hardware has been changed (usualy).

Put the machine back to its original configuration and try again.

Normally when this is done you won't be asked for a key.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Jade,

Harry is known to give solid advice. You should be in good hands.

It sounds to me like you are trying to enter the 20 digit Product ID in place of the 25 digit Product Key. If you cannot find the proper Product Key, and you're not afraid of opening the registry editor, maybe I can help.

In the lower left hand corner of your screen, open your Start Menu, select Run, and in the dialog box, type in the command regedit. This will open up the Registry Editor. One word of warning though. If you're not comfortable with the delicate state of the registry, be very careful not to make any changes. All you need to do is to get to the area of the registry where your ID and Key numbers are saved.

With the Registry Editor open, select the following path. If you click on the + symbol, it will open up the first sub-directory, then repeat for each thereafter.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Software
    Microsoft
    Windows
    CurrentVersion

Then scroll down until you find the entries for both the ProductID and the ProductKey. The ProductKey is the number that you need. Write it down for easy reference. If you have any further problems, let us know.

Bill

4. purplejade

purplejade Nibble Poster

Hi thanks Guys,

The problem is that it wont let me go that far, to actually load the windows, as its a fresh installation, the pc starts up and the first thing you see is windows 98 setup wizard, and it asks for a name and than asks for the key ....:rolleyes:

5. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Can you start in safe mode? Press F5 on boot.

6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Sounds like hes already formatted the machine brotherbill, so he's stuck on reinstalling it. unfortunatly if you cant make the key work you've had it for that particular key.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

But you should be able to restart the restore disk.

Have you tried after putting the machine back to its original state?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. purplejade

purplejade Nibble Poster

Hi, yes I reboot the pc and went into the safe mode, ran regedit and went upto current version but there is no infor on product id or product key ???

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I`ll second that, had to do that with a Windows 95 restore disk many years ago. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

I've got some old Win98 COA stickers somewhere if you need the key numbers pm me otherwise I'll be chucking em out shortly.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  11. GW

GW Byte Poster

If worse comes to worse do a search on the Internet, there are places that are still selling new copies of Windows 98 for around $50.00 or less.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA