Product Key Issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mac70, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Mac70

Mac70 Bit Poster

Im in the process of building a basic PC which I will be putting Linux on.But as Im studying for my A+ I thought Id could dual-boot with XP so that I could do the exercises for the OS without worrying about problems.
    What Ive got is the Recovery DVD I made when we got our main comp and I thought Id install XP from that.(Probably illegal I know). Im sure during the install it will ask for the Licence Key which I dont have so how do I work around that?

Certifications: Zilcho
    WIP: Considering MCDST
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I'm sorry my friend, but you are in the wrong place to ask that sort of question.

The only advice is if this is a reinstall then there should be no problem with re-activating it. If you have not got a licence key the that's a problem that you'r going to have to overcome on your own.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

mate - if it's illegal, then you should buy a legal copy of Windows...

as for the recovery disc, the ones that i have dealt with do not ask for the license key... just realised, the recovery disc that is for your *main pc* more likely will not work as the hardware will be different.

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

It was not that long ago that on the purchase of a machine, you would recieve the *full* XP disc. By full i refer to the same version of XP that you would pay for over the counter and could go through setup, partition etc.

Piracy has forced Microsoft to suppling an *imaged* version of your purchased machine as it left the factory. Although this could be argued as satisfactory, I recently had to re-install an Asus laptop from an image. Whilst it was fairly quick, it had all the *horrible* things that not only slow the machine down, but are already availible within Windows XP. Oh, and it was FAT32!
    :twisted:

Help stop Pirated software; use Open Source software where possible. :)

Regards

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

What they said. A recovery CD will only work on the original machine usualy, and then often only if it hasn't been modified in any way.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

A had a classic last week. I was given a *broken* laptop and amazingly the original *imaged* disc (or so i thought :D ).

I booted from the CD, and it started it's text based install. It then displayed a nice image telling me that it wasn't the machine that the disc was intended for and basically bugger off!

7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

could you remember the exact error message?

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Cheeks,

It something along the line of *the image you are attempting to install was not created for this machine, please contact the manufacturer to purchase software*

Si

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It's nothing to do with Microsoft Boyce, they still provide a proper OEM Microsoft XP CD with just the operating system and no bloatware. It is the PC manufacturers that decide to create their own recovery disks, which will generally return the computer back to the state in which you bought it ie with a working operating system and of course full of HP, Dell or whatever marketing junk etc.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. hbroomhall

To balance this out - IMHO the Sony disks have useful software on with things like screen brightness reduction when on battery and the like.

Harry.

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ah So-ny, is that so that you can see their battery explode without the bright distraction of the screen? :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. Mac70

Mac70 Bit Poster

Well thats my question answered.Ive got Ubuntu and Mandriva to install so who knows, Ill take my Linux+ later.

Certifications: Zilcho
    WIP: Considering MCDST
  13. hbroomhall

<giggle>

My Vaio is so old it predates the infamous battery problem....

Harry.

14. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

So old you have to crank the handle to get it booted?? or do you just pok ethe hamster within to wake him up?:rolleyes:

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  15. hbroomhall

Hamsters need lots of sleep - or at least this one does....

Harry.