Procrastination ..... or Student syndrome

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Denver Maxwell, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Denver Maxwell

Denver Maxwell Nibble Poster

Just wondering if anyone else has an issue with this and how others get over it!!

Personally i have loads of experience and no Certs and a fairly good job, however i would dearly love to get a few Certs under my wings such as MCITP EA, Exchange 2010, Hyper-V, VMWare VCP, maybe even a Cisco CCNA. I can and do deal with all this stuff daily but getting my arse in gear and getting certified (possibly mentally as well) just seems to be too much hassle and I’ve a hundred other pointless things i could be doing... (Really pointless)

I’m thinking about just booking an exam in say 4 1/2 weeks time and seeing if that will inspire me (£££) I’m a tight Scotsman after all.

Certifications: VMware VCP v5, GVF Level 3a, ITIL V3, Windows 2008 something or other...
    WIP: Prince 2? CCENT? mmm donno
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm more on the other side of the fence, not enough experience/expertise and learn by studying - but I think either can be a problem with procrastination.

Motivation can only come from within - be it more money, more prestige from colleagues, bragging rights on a forum, more knowledge - no-one else can give it to you which is where I feel the problem has difficulty in being resolved.

First to note though in your post - "I've a hundred other pointless things I could be doing" - certs and learning, or proving shouldn't be pointless in my mind.

"The only limitations we have are those we put on ourselves."

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I suppose it depends with me.

Some things I just eat up - others I struggle with.
    Overall though, when I start something, I want to finish it - which keeps me going.

I'm in the middle of some major boring study at the moment which is heavy going. I tend to read about a paragraph before wondering what's going on at Certforums.

The only way I get through it is to break it into manageable chunks - read for half an hour without interruptions, then have 5 minutes to check the forum or emails etc.

But, each to his own. 8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Afroninja

Afroninja Bit Poster

I keep putting them off aswell. Only one ive managed so far is the XP MCP purely because after something like 4 months attempting to read the book I just booked the exam and did it. Not sure the same policy will work with the server exams :)

Really need to buckle down one day and try for the MCITP:EA/SA and CCNA certs.

5. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

You just have to make yourself do it. I'm tired from work but I've had some food and now an hour of studying. After that some gaming.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  6. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Like wise, I am too in the middle of some hardcore study, I simple tell myself that it's only temporary and the benefits will repay the effort many times over, I find the hardest part is sitting down open the book and getting on with it. But make sure you break your study down into managable chunks and review your work every 20mins or you'll be studying ink on paper.

I find that I am better if I disconnect the internet so I am not tempted to graze on the web!

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  7. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Yes, and that, at the end of the study reward yourself with a quick blast on the console. I find it helps my brain relax before bed.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  8. Denver Maxwell

Denver Maxwell Nibble Poster

:) i was filling in an application form at the time..... they are even worse than study!! Mabye i should get the xbox working again.

I do study like sprints, 45-75 mins then a brake, but still so so so difficult to stick at it.

Im going to figure out how long it should take for the study then im going to book and see if i waste the money or not!!.

think ill go for 4 - 5 weeks. . .

Certifications: VMware VCP v5, GVF Level 3a, ITIL V3, Windows 2008 something or other...
    WIP: Prince 2? CCENT? mmm donno
  9. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Our lectures at uni were max 50 mins without a break as any more than that your brain seems to shut down.

The more studying I do, and the more I learn that is new (ie, no nothing about DNS and now I know lots!) the more I am excited about learning the next thing - I found the client and server exams the slowest to get through as I was learning little new and was just trying to assimilate the nuances needed for the exam - this was a very painful and slow process!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293