Processor upgrade

Discussion in 'Software' started by Raffaz, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Ive just ordered a athlon x2 4200+ from OCUK (£88.41 with next day delivery:biggrin ), will have it tomorrow. Ive got a dual boot system with XP and vista. Am i likely to run into problems with the OSes when i change the processor over? Is there any easy workarounds, or am i likely to need to reinstall? I think i might getaway with a repair of XP, but im not to sure about how vista works with stuff like this. Cheers

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

What processor do you run at the minute?

I think that you're right about XP, the only way that you'll know for Vista is to try it. I suspect though that you might either have to do the same for vista, or perhaps it will automaticaly detect the changes?

I ran a quick google, but didn't find anything conclusive, so why not be the first, and let us know how it goes! :biggrin

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I just resently upgraded from the AMD64 3500+ to the AMD64 x2 4200+ (I've changed the m/b, ram as well as processor), and apart from having to install the new M/B's drivers, I've had no problems. I didn't even have to do a Windows repair.

The only thing that I've noticed, I have to say, is an improvement on my benchmark scores and game play while printing and burning DVD's :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Raffaz

Im upgrading from an athlon64 3000+ to the x2 4200+. I checked google aswell but couldnt find any info either.

5. Raffaz

Sounds good to me, is that xp or vista mate?

6. Kitkatninja

XP (but I also trial it on Vista - I have a separate HDD for testing which I install/remove when I need to), one thing I have to say is that I already had the AMD software installed on my PC - as I recall the only thing, apart from re-installing the mobo drivers, was to uninstall the AMD software and then re-install the AMD software once the new processor is installed, but this was more down to 3dmark06 and PCmark05 to run properly.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  7. Kitkatninja

Forgot to add (I just remembered), Windows XP didn't detect the dual-core CPU (at least in Task Manager until I re-installed the AMD software & re-booted). I have to say, I didn't check that in Vista.

-ken

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Think about it, you haven't got any hair to tear out if it doesn't go smoothly :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Raffaz

What AMD software are you referring to mate?

10. Raffaz

Just post me that shirt and il take it out on that instead:twisted:

11. Kitkatninja

See here. It's on their website and I believe it comes with the CPU anyway (if you got the retail version).

-ken

12. Raffaz

Cheers, ive got the OEM version coming.

13. Kitkatninja

Cool, to be honest I don't think that you'll have any problem's, the majority of the things I had to do was because I swapped mobo's.

-ken

14. Raffaz

Just to let you guys/gals know. The upgrade went fine so im now running an X2 4200+:) XP needed 1 reboot when it installed drivers for multi processor. Vista had no problems whatsoever. I think im gonna swap the sempron out of the other system now for the atthlon64. :)

15. Kitkatninja

Excellent, piece of p**s, wasn't it? :)

-ken

16. Raffaz

Yeah, without a doubt. Ive never just done a processor upgrade before, so wasnt sure what to expect.:)

17. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

[​IMG] :d

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  18. Raffaz

19. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

First off Raffaz, welcome to dual core world my friend...:biggrin feels great doesnt it? And yes Vista will recognise dual core right away but one thing to note...if u overclock the CPU (like yours truly), Vista will only recognise it as the stock speed where as XP will see the change in speed

secondly, wizard...this is why Im glad your staying with us with pics like that...what a gem :D Raffaz u have nothing to worry about...its an everyday occurance :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  20. Raffaz

Yeah its much better noel especially for multitasking :) Ive OCed mine to 2.25ghz so far (not much really) will probably take it further at some point:)