Processing at the Speed of Light

Discussion in 'News' started by SimonV, Nov 2, 2003.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

[​IMG]<font size="3">Processing at the Speed of Light </font>

Thanks to Tripwire45 for this article.

HERZLIYA, Israel -- An Israeli startup has developed a processor that uses optics instead of silicon, enabling it to compute at the speed of light, the company said.

Lenslet said its processor will enable new capabilities in homeland security and military, multimedia and communications applications.
    "Optical processing is a strategic competitive advantage for nations and companies," said Avner Halperin, vice president for business development at Lenslet. "Processing at the speed of light, you can have safer airports, autonomous military systems, high-definition multimedia broadcast systems and advanced next-generation communications systems."

An optical processor is a digital signal processor (DSP) with an optical accelerator attached to it that enables it to perform functions at very high speeds. "It is an acceleration of 20 years in the development of digital hardware," Lenslet founder and Chief Executive Officer Aviram Sariel told Reuters.

The processor performs 8 trillion operations per second, equivalent to a supercomputer and 1,000 times faster than standard processors, with 256 lasers performing computations at light speed.

Full Story: wired.com

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. kelton
      kelton
      You're telling me my new pc is out of date already? Ok, how much does one of these babys cost? :onthePC
    2. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      At this point I think it's a case of "if you have to ask, you can't afford it".
    3. Jakamoko
      Jakamoko
      Yeah, but can it play Space Invaders ??? :alien
    4. SimonV
      SimonV
      and will I have to type quicker :?: