1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Probs installing XP on a dual boot system

Discussion in 'Software' started by Flipside, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Flipside

Flipside Bit Poster

I've been trying to set up a dual boot system comprising Win 98SE and XP Pro...

The hard disk is small at 4GB, but I partitioned it 3 ways using FDISK using more-or-less a third for each partition. In installed 98 on the primary partition (C), then made a second partition and divided it into 2 logical drives (D, E).

I then tried installing XP but at the point where I scans the drive I get a message 'Setup has determined that C: is corrupted and cannot be repaired. Setup cannot continue'.

I have read that a solution is to reformat the drive and install XP fresh, but this doesn't help with what I'm trying to achieve. I am actually trying to do what there wasn't time for in class. i.e. the tutor wanted us to do this. So, I'm a bit trustrated I can't seem to get it working.

Can anyone offer advice?

Mod edit(AJ) moved to software forum
    WIP: A+
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I suspect the drive you're trying to install XP on is way too small anyway. Half of a third of 4GB, that's about 700MB isn't it?
    Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think Baba is correct..

From the horses mouth
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Flipside

Flipside Bit Poster

Yes, I think you were right. I re-partitioned it - 1GB for 98 and 3 for XP and no probs. RAM just meets minimum spec at 64! No wonder it's sluggish.

Thanks guys.
    WIP: A+
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

If this machine is going to be used for testing purposes, isolated and not connected to the <net> i wouldn't install Anti-Virus on it. This will save a fair bit of resources.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT