1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Lightscribe DVD-RW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MadScientist, Apr 20, 2006.

1. MadScientist

MadScientist New Member

Hello Everyone!

I recently purchased a HP Lightscribe DVD-RW.
    It's excellent for burning text and pictures directly onto the surface of the DVD. I used paper labels before and wrecked my mate's Kenwood CD player when then label got stuck inside.

He still grunts at me to this day!

My problem is I can't play Original DVD's. DVD-R and DVD+R work fine but as soon as I put a film like Transporter 2, it does nothing.

When I try to open it in Power DVD it say's no disc?

I have done a fresh install of XP and updated the drivers.

I am still pulling my hair out (in large clumps).
    Please can anyone help? :cry:

Certifications: IT Diploma, BSc Chemistry, C+G Computers
    WIP: MCDST & MCSE Security
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

u have done this u may have not...but how about updating the firmware just in case? also I know Lightscribe drives can be a bit of a pain when installing the software/drivers...did u reboot the system each time it told u to? (I ask this cos a good friend of mine found out when he didnt reboot each time it ask him to he encountered problems) so thats worth a try...I take it the DVDs have worked in other drives before this one?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. AJ

AJ Administrator Administrator

Just a quick thought, is the DVD and the player using the same region?

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Looking at doing ..................
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

could also be the region of your drive / actual dvd...

i know some dvd roms are set to certain regions, if thats the case then you will need to update your firmware or the easier option to region-free your drive via software...

your OG DVDs, if you have the o/g cover aswell, then it will normally show @ the back what region the DVD is, i think, 2 is Europe + Asia, 1 is America, its based on the PAL - NTFS system, i think, dont quote me...

5. MadScientist

MadScientist New Member

Thanks for replying.

The DVD's are all region 2. The DVD region is set in Power DVD to region 2 and I have also got a program called DVD genie which gets around the region limitations. So yes it's the correct region.

I haven't tried updating the firmware yet and currently downloading from a the web now (Big THX to noelg24 :) ).
    Also these DVD's work fine on my sister's computer and DVD player.

Certifications: IT Diploma, BSc Chemistry, C+G Computers
    WIP: MCDST & MCSE Security