problems with ftp server (windows xp)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wires_are_bad, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Wires_are_bad

Wires_are_bad Nibble Poster

Tried 'ftp localhost' and I get the message:

"connection closed by remote host"

Certifications: Bsc Business I.T (2:1)
    WIP: A+ and N+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Assuming the firewall on that machine is off then the FTP server is running, but not configured correctly.

As I know nothing about IIS configs I'll leave it to other experts!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Wires_are_bad

firewall is off. Thanks for your replies, I do appreciate it.

4. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

from one of your earlier posts:

there are a lot of properties. exactly where did you define this? reset this to the default settings, create a new local windows useraccount, and use that account to logon via ftp.

5. Wires_are_bad

control panel > Administrative tools > IIS > right click ftp server > properties >security accounts

This is where I set the username and password. I cant see any option to revert back to default settings.

I'll create a new user account to log in to the ftp server, but Ive already tried logging in via my other PC. Will try it though, thanks for the suggestion.

Tried but still no luck. Think I'll get some sleep. Very frustrated as it seemed like a pretty straight forward procedure. Thanks for the help guys. Keep the suggestions coming in :D

6. Wires_are_bad

Hey guys

Just wanted to make a quick post as I finally sorted the problem :D

What led me to the solution was when I found out that I was having firewall problems (double clicked firewall and error message came up saying I couldn't access firewall/ICS) so after a bit of research I figured it was a 'winsock' problem ('windows sockets' which apparently is a utility that allows users to communicate with other computers on the internet by TCP/IP e.g. web browser, ftp programs, etc)

I reset my winsock settings (run-->cmd-->Netsh winsock reset) then rebooted my computer.

All is now fixed! Thanks for everyones replies on the topic though, really appreciate it :D

7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Glad to see that you got it sorted and thanks for posting the solution. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. ukbubs

ukbubs New Member

In case somebody else stumbles across this thread, I've had problems accessing FTP on my (hosted) website using an FTP client.

The solution: disable the Application Layer Gateway Service in Computer Management \ Services and Applications \ Services before trying to make the FTP connection.

You may want to re-enable it after you've finished: shared folders on my (XP) machine are no longer visble to others