Problems with BT Voyager 190

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Luddym, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey guys,

I have a friend who has a problem connecting a laptop I gave her to AOL.

She has had the Ethernet BT Voyager 190 connected to her PC for years, and when we unplug, turn it off and plug it into the Laptop's ethernet port, then run the setup cd (after turning the Voyager back on) there are problems.

The setup detects the Voyager, but then says something along the lines of 'Voyager isn't connected to the Internet' and just keeps retrying.

The Laptop picks up an IP address of 192.168.1.2 and appears to be able to communicate with the Voyager, (which is how it picked up the address on DHCP) as when she types in the address of the Router.

Of course, when she plugs the Voyager back into the PC, it works.

Anyone else had this sort of thing? I know I had it on a Telewest Cable modem, and by turning it off and on (Which reset it) it released the MAC address of the PC it had been plugged into..... but that is completely different technology. She doesn't want to fully reset her modem, as it may mean problems. Living Miles away and helping over the phone, i dont really want to mess up what she currently has.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is the ADSL light solid on the modem?

Also this might help..

http://www.voyager.bt.com/wired_routers/voyager_190/product_info.htm#

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Yep, the light is solid... everything looks as it should be.

I was going to get her to phone them if I can't work it out, but as I got her the laptop i feel obliged to see if I can find out, and be the knight in shining armour. :D

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

just a thought, but if you are hooking the laptop up through the ethernet, can the lappy see the internet? Have you tried just plugging it in and surfing?

There really is no need to install software if you are using the ethernet port. Using the USB port, yes, but not the ethernet. Even if you need to reconfigure some of the settings, most of them have a webpage you can use for it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

:oops: What a dope, I hadn't thought of that!