Problems subnetting ?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Headache, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

If like me, you're new to the I.T field and are having problems with subnetting, then this guy might be worth a shot.

http://www.subnetting-secrets.com/

I ordered the books and the video. I haven't touched the books yet, but I started watching the video this afternoon and trust me, this guy makes subnetting really simple. If you didn't know how to subnet before, after watching the video and practicing a little, you would.

I can't go into detail about how he does it, obviously. But I can tell you that he uses a sort of chart to make the calculations. Once you understand how to use the chart, any issues you have with subnetting are over.

All I have to do now is memorise the chart, reproduce it on a sheet of paper in the exam and use it to tackle any subnetting questions they throw at me.

There is one thing though. On the website, the guy claims that you'll be able to subnet in your head in 15 seconds. Well, I can't do that yet. And infact I don't see that happening for a while (if ever).

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I think this was the guy who was in the newspapers around the time i did a classroom A+ course (2004). There was an article about him on the noticeboard basically saying how he had gone from a PC to PC engineer!

thanks for sharing that with us. looks good to me. :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Update:

Thanks, Boyce.

Yeah, you're right. From all accounts the guy was a police officer before going into the IT field.

Anyway, I'm pleased to announce that his system works exceedingly well. I've been practicing my subneting on this site here:

http://www.subnettingquestions.com/default_uk.asp

Overall, I'm getting the answers right roughly 8 times out of ten. The only reason I'm failing the odd question here and there is because my arithmetic is basically rubbish. Imagine adding up 128 and 128 and coming up with 156 ! That's how bad my arithmetic is.

Despite this I'm still getting most the answers right. So the system works pretty well. All I need to do is brush up on my adding and subtracting skills and I'm well on my way.

4. ciscopaul

ciscopaul Bit Poster

Hi,

Thanks for recommending subnetting secrets to others.

After some practise you will be able to answer any subnetting question in 15 seconds flat. You just tick along the chart until you get the number you want. I had to invent it after reading a certain CCNA book for 6 weeks and still not getting subnetting.

Thanks once again.

5. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

A great link! - I can use this for later in the year when I hopefully do my CCNA

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  6. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Some questions even quicker than that.

No joke.

Infact it's gotten to the point where, if the value of the bit that I derive from the subnet mask is low, say 1 or 2 for example, I can tell the answer almost at a glance.

It's only when the value of the bit is high, like 64 or 32 or 16, for instance, that I'm still having to do a little bit of adding and subtracting to get the answer. And even then, it's easy. :D