Problems backing up to TeraStation

Discussion in 'Networks' started by moviemaker, Feb 6, 2008.

1. moviemaker

moviemaker New Member

Hi there,

we have a small problem regarding backups from the server.

We are currently running Small Business Server 2003

I have gone through Server Management and used the wizard to configure a backup. I have set a date / time and the destination folder for the backup to be created, which is on a disc on the server.

At the scheduled time, the backup is created to the destination.

So from this, I know that the backup agent is working.

I am looking at creating a backup job to run and to be stored on a NAS box on the network.

We currently have a TeraStation connected to the Network with it's own static IP address. This TS has also been added as a computer in Active directory.
    There is a local admin account set on the TeraStation with a password.
    An account has been created in Active Directory with the same username password as on the TeraStation, which has Domain Admin and Backup Operator rights.
    A drive has been mapped to the TeraStation, so I can see the folders and shares on the TeraStation from the server.

If I run a backup schedule again but this time pointing to the TeraStation, the backup job doesn't run, but I receive the following error message :

"Backup Runner started.
    Launching NTBackup: ntbackup.exe backup "@D:\SBS Server Tools\Backup\Small Business Backup Script.bks" /d "SBS Backup created on 05/02/2008 at 22:30" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:off /m normal /j "Small Business Server Backup Job" /l:s /f "\\172.16.40.125\Backup\Backup Files\Small Business Server Backup (02).bkf" /UM
    NTBACKUP LOG FILE: C:\Documents and Settings\SBS Backup User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\backup02.log
    =====================<BEGIN NTBACKUP LOG FILE>=====================
    Backup Status
    The operation was not performed because the specified media cannot be found."

Does anyone have any ideas please?

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Try setting the backup job again and when doing it use the browse function to point where you want the backup file to be stored on the terastation, don't point it to a mapped drive.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. moviemaker

moviemaker New Member

Hi Nugget,

I have tried that. It asks for the full unc path, so in this case I have typed in the ip address of the TS and then the folder where i would liek to have the backup saved to.

So in this case

\\172.16.40.125\Backup\Backup Files\

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Windows backup tends to work best when it is connecting to a mapped drive.

Also make sure that the wake computer to run this task is ticked. Does the Terrastation have any power saving settings on it? perhaps it is going to sleep?

5. moviemaker

moviemaker New Member

Hi there,

I have alaso tried backing up to the mapped drive (the one that points to the TeraStation), but found that when the jobs tries to run, the drive disconnects.

I have also checked that the TS does not go into sleep mode

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well, I was going to write a long post about how I did it but you have almost the same setup as I have.

When you say that you navigate to a mapped drive I take it you go to my computer and then the mapped drive eg W:\ and then to the folder?

When you navigate to the folder \\172.16.40.125\Backup\Backup Files\ on your terastation does it ask you for the account and the password?

I must point out that I did not navigate to a mapped drive but to a network share going through my network and then the entire network path etc

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you have the budget for a better backup solution? Only having one backup of the server can be risky. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. moviemaker

moviemaker New Member

Hi Nugget,

Yes it does ask for a password to 172.168.40.125 (which is the TS), I enter the userid and password that has been created locally on the TS and it maps a drive.

There is also an identical account in AD.

I'm sure it's something very simple I'm missing here.

Any ideas please

9. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Have you specified the user account the backup job should run as? I havent had any experience with a terrastation but if you specified an AD account with the same details as a local account im not sure if it would work that way. Perhaps you need to specify the local account details ie \localts\user.

edit:

actually the more I think about it the more Im not sure"

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

moviemaker,

According to the "Backup and Restore" webpage for "Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2: Frequently Asked Questions" it says....
    So your problem trying to backup to the TeraStation may be because the TeraStation is not part of the Windows domain, in other words, part of Active Directory.

Source:
    1. "Backup and Restore" webpage for "Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2: Frequently Asked Questions" - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/evaluation/faq/backup.mspx

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  11. moviemaker

moviemaker New Member

Hi Lee,
    The TS has been added to AD

12. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

moviemaker,

Does the TeraStation use NTFS?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA