Problem with TCP/IP properties - please help

Discussion in 'Software' started by guess who, Apr 5, 2007.

1. guess who

guess who Bit Poster

Situation looks like this. Workgroup of 5 computers, on all 5 administrator accounts.

I have strange problem with TCP/IP properties. The problem is that i can't open it !? :blink It says that I don't have sufficient privileges for accessing connection properties and that i have to contact my administrator. Belive it's some strange virus or something because all computers on network have the same problem. Can some1 help me with this ?

Oouu yeah, and another thing. Connection status window is shrinked ?!?:blink

Some pics:

Shrinked window

Click for pic

Access denied window

Click for pic

..please help.. :oops:

Certifications: MCP, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE
  2. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

That is odd. Can you run command prompt and type set then hit enter. What username does it say you are logged on as?

Cheers

G

WIP: MCSA 2003
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I can't see the pics (work firewall blocks them), but are the PC's locked down in any way?

4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

guess who,

Question:
    1. Are you using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Guess who,

Who set the machines up? Have all the machines had the IP's manually assigned?

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Almost sounds as if a local security policy has been applied to deny access to that area. You may have to reset the local security policies before you can access the configuration page.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

8. guess who

guess who Bit Poster

Yup. I can run that command. Users on all computers are logged as administrators. :unsure

9. guess who

guess who Bit Poster

No, everything work's fine except this. :rolleyes:

10. guess who

guess who Bit Poster

Yes, i'm using ICS.

11. guess who

guess who Bit Poster

I have manually assigned IP's on the machines (year ago).

Usually i wouldn't even notice this problem because, like i said, everything else works fine. But yesterday we had problems with one of computers. Actually with the NIC card. It stopped working. :eek: I replaced that card and when i wanted to enter IP i found out this problem.:ohmy

12. guess who

guess who Bit Poster

Maybe. But there is problem with the shrinked window left. :)

13. guess who

guess who Bit Poster

14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Yes, but the policy states the icon will still be availible in Control panel, but you will not be able to configure it. Is this the case?

15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Have you been playing around with security policies on the PCs? As this is a workgroup you would have had to go around all PCs to do this.

It sounds like this may be an issue with ICS as it hands out the IPs and Im not sure if you can assign static PCs when you are using ICS (dont quote me on this).

Disconnect the network cable and reboot, can you change the I.P after that? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Sparky you can set the ip properties manually if you are using ICS, you don't even need to use the default range, all you need is connectivity.

guess who, i presume you have scanned these PCs for viruses/malware?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. guess who

guess who Bit Poster

Nope, unfortunately doesn't work. :dry

Another thing. I wanted to make a new network connection and again i wasn't able to because my user account doesnt have adequate permission. :eek:

[​IMG]

..so i used this group policy..

[​IMG]

..but nothing happend. wtf ? :cry:

18. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I guess you would have to set the default gateway and dns to 192.168.0.1 though, as the PC running ICS always uses that address.

Guess Who - Try this, goto My Computer, right click it, pick Manage, then when you get the Computer Management screen up, expand Local users & groups. Then click on Users.

Now right click and create a new user. After you have set the name and password, finish the process, then double click on the new user. Go to the Member Of tab, and add the user into the Administrators group.

Now assuming all that worked ok, log off, then log on with the new user and try it.

If it doesn't let you create the user or allow you to make it an administrator, then I suspect that the PC is bolted down with some very secure policies, or that the admin account you are using isn't really a local admin. You could check the latter by looking in the Member Of tab for the admin user you originally logged in with.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  19. guess who

guess who Bit Poster

Yes my friend. I've done that first. :(

20. guess who

guess who Bit Poster

I've tried this also. Creating a new user and adding it to administrators group was successfull. But when i log with that account i get the same access denied messagge in TCP/IP properties.

This thing is eating up my nerves, i can tell you that. :biggrin