Problem with printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arroryn, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I've asked HP, but I'm guessing the response here will be quicker :)

Apart from the "A+" answer, can anyone think why a printer would chuck out blank pages?

Printer was working fine, up until a toner replacement. New toner, no prints. I didn't switch the toner, so unsure if anything there went wrong. It's an official HP replacement, correct product ID, etc. There was no gradual degradation in print quality, other than the other toner going.

EDIT: printer is a HP 4250tn, laser.

So. Blankety-blank pages.

Answers - go!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello Arroryn

Is this printer hooked up to the network or a stand alone printer.
    Also I have you tried running a test print page?
    Is the printer heads align?
    What orintation is the paper set at - Portrait or Landscape?

Is the character spacing set up correctly?

EDIT: DID YOU SHAKE THE TONER CARTRIDGE BEFORE REPLACING IT?
    :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. Pady

Pady Nibble Poster

Blank Pages can be cauused by any of the following:

The software configuration is incorrect (intermittent problem). - Make sure that the software program is not sending incorrect page-length requests or extra page-eject commands.

The network configuration is incorrect. - Some sharing devices on networks might generate a blank page as a printjob separator. Check with the network administrator. Multiple feeds are occurring. The printer might be feeding two or more pages at on time (intermittent problem). Remove the media from the tray and flex the stack in one direction and then the other to separate the pages. Do not fan the stack. Replace the stack in the tray.

The sealing tape was left in the print cartridge. - Remove the sealing tape.

The print cartridge is empty or defective. - Replace the print cartridge.

The laser/scanner shutter door is not opening correctly. - 1 Remove and reseat the print cartridge.
    2 Verify that the laser/scanner shutter door can open correctly. If necessary, replace the laser/ scanner assembly.

No transfer-roller voltage is being generated. - Without transfer-roller voltage, toner does not transfer correctly from the surface of the drum to the paper. Perform the half self-test functional check to check the electrophotographic process. If necessary, replace the transfer roller.

The high-voltage connector springs are dirty or damaged. - The high-voltage connector springs protrude into the print cartridge cavity. Clean the springs if they are dirty. Replace the springs if they are damaged or missing.

No drum ground path exists. - When no drum ground path exists, the drum cannot discharge. The negative
    charge on the drum repels toner, and leaves a nearly-white page (possibly with bubbled print). Check the drum ground that runs from the contact point in the center of the print drum.

The high-voltage circuit is defective. - Replace the power-supply assembly.

The laser/scanner cable is defective. - Low-level signals that are exchanged between the laser/scanner assembly
    and the dc controller PCA might be affecting the laser output. Replace the laser/scanner cables.

Hope this is of some help

Certifications: A+, See Sig for HW Certs
    WIP: Network+ & MCP 70-270
  4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Arroryn,

Disclaimer: I've never worked on a HP LaserJet 4250tn.

Your problem of "Pages print, but are totally blank" can be found on page 129 (pdf page 141 of 304) of the "hp LaserJet 4250/4350 series printer - use" manual.

The first listed Cause is "The sealing tape might still be in the print cartridge." The solution is to "Remove the print cartridge and pull out the sealing tape. Reinstall the print cartridge."

The second listed Cause is "The file might have blank pages." The solution is to "Check the file to make sure that it does not contain blank pages."

I hope this helps.

Link:

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Normally for us it's some idiot printing an Excel document without defining the print area.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

The first thing i would to seperate the printer from the network is set the printer to do a self test. If that is OK, do a test page from a machine.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I've done this before :oops: , I was in a hurry and the user was giving me a hard time. I would check this straight away.

Nelix

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  8. Arroryn

Hello guys,

I have 'cleaned' all various end-user servicable areas of the machine. There is no seal tape, and the network settings, etc seem to be fine. There has been no change to the software. The print now seems to be hardly existent - I'm off to steal another toner, and see if that works.

9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hey that's good point about the sealing tape!

I have seen that done many times, usually when people are in a rush to get out of the door on Friday afternoons:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  10. Arroryn

This printer is actually quite good - it gives an error message if it detects the seal tape is still in the cartridge.

We have ordered 2 new toners - it appears they are both defective.

11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Arroryn,

Is this printer connected to a Network point? If so do you know its IP Address? If you can try typing the Printers IP Address into a Web Browser to see if you are able to access the printers Management features, and see if it is reporting anything abnormal.

Approximately how many pages has this printer printed during its life time?

12. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

hey arroryn, just had this almost exact same problem when i refilled my toner.

i was getting fine alignment pages but nothing else.

i had to roll-back the drivers then update, and then clean,clean,clean the nozzles by using the printer software to try to blast out any glue or crap left behind.

hth! :yongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+