Problem with IE 6 SP1

Discussion in 'Software' started by punkboy101, Jun 14, 2004.

1. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone could help me.

I've just been looking at my dad's machine because he has been having problems with Internet Explorer when visiting certain pages.

Some site's Ive gone to don't cause any problems, like this one, but other cause Internet explorer to crash with the following message.

Microsoft Internet Explorer has encoutered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for any inconvineince.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

Then there is a check box to restart IE, and an option to send the information to Microsoft.

I clicked on more information and it show's the following error code:

AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName: msvcrt.dll

Normally when this happens, I just restart IE and carry on, but it always crashes on the same site if I try to access it again. one of the sites is www.canadaeast.com.

Anyway, most of the time it doesn't seem to cause any real problems, the system stays stable. However, a few times I have had blue screens, illegal operation boxes, and error messages all caused by ddhelp.exe after the IE message.

I have re-installed and repaired IE, ran spybot search and destroy, and a complete virus scan. All found nothing.

He is currently using 98 SE, and thinking about upgrading to 2000, so I might just format the disk and install 2000, but I would like to see if I can sort this first.

Anybody got any ideas??

Thanks

Punkboy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

There is some info about that dll here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;190536

Seems it is a C++ file ?

or you could try removing IE altogether and re-install it clean. This can't normally be done as IE is associalted with Active desktop and other functionality in the windows shell but this 3rd party util can do it http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html

IEradicator is cool if you want control over what you want to do and not what Microsoft want you to do 8)

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi Bluerinse

Thanks for the reply. :thumbleft Just my luck tho, I just upgraded it the other day, didn't think anyone was comin back on this. Thanks for the links tho, definitly check em out for future use. Still got some friends runnig 98 SE and you never know when your gonna come across a problem like this again.

Thanks

Punkboy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for the link Pete, it looks very helpful.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Pete is da man! :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+