problem with cpu upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by misanthrope, Jan 17, 2009.

1. misanthrope

misanthrope Bit Poster

hello.

i built a cheap pc for my sister several months ago & decided i'd buy her a faster cpu for xmas.

i looked on the mobo manufacturers site for the supported cpus & chose one of the fastest i could get.

http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=1769

at first i bought a prescott 3.0g but when i fitted it, the mobo immediately alarmed repeatedly until i switched it off. i replaced the original cpu (willamette 1.9g) & everything was fine.

i returned the cpu for testing & it was proved to be satisfactory. i received a replacement which is a different cpu this time a northwood 3.0g ht. i fitted this morning & it alarmed in the same way as the prescott.

both cpus are clearly on the support list for this mobo, is there something else i need to do to ensure compatibility?

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You probably need to flash the mobo with the latest BIOS revision.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. misanthrope

misanthrope Bit Poster

yeah i was thinking that, a version supporting HT.

btw the manual says the continual short beep code is 'power error'.

4. greenbrucelee

maybe your PSU can't handle the power of the new processor, so it may not need a BIOS update (although I always do it regardless of wether I need it or not).

Check the wattage of CPU it'll be in the manual or something and check the PSU wattage and ther components then you will see if you need a new PSU.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, as GBL has said flash the BIOS with the original CPU in and make sure the computer can boot up ok. Then try the new CPU.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. misanthrope

misanthrope Bit Poster

job done but its not the bios. the beep fault with the upgrade is instantaneous so doesnt boot or get anywhere near bios.

i'm wondering about this 'power fault', i made sure i bought a good brand psu it's antec sl300sp, it has the p4 power connector. i used a calculator at the time & i only needed about 200W, this pc is very basic.

7. Sparky

How old is the PSU mate? Perhaps it is on the way out...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. misanthrope

misanthrope Bit Poster

well it was a refurb there is no way of knowing.

maybe the p4 connector doesn't have sufficient power for this size of cpu. i assume the p4 connector amperage is in proportion to the overall power output of the psu?

9. Sparky

Can you get into the BIOS ok when the PC first boots? Is the new CPU listed in there.

Is there any components\parts that dont need to be connected for the PC to boot? Try disconnecting the CD drive and anything else that isnt essential and then boot the PC up.

10. misanthrope

misanthrope Bit Poster

unfortunately it doesn't boot. you switch it on & get an instantaneous short beep fault. i see what you mean about the other components, a psu problem would show up under the heaviest load i.e. startup.

i'll try that, i'm also going to hook it up to a bigger psu if i can get one.

11. Sparky

Sounds like a plan :thumbleft

12. misanthrope

misanthrope Bit Poster

well here's what happened. . .

- with all power connectors - fault
    - with p4 & atx only - fault
    - with atx only - no fault

also i tried another psu & that gave exactly the same results as my existing psu. but they are both rated at 300W so the only conclusion i can draw is that the psu is not faulty, but its p4 is not enough.

i don't know how the mobo initiates a power fault, i can only assume it's based on voltage & too much draw on start-up on the p4 would create a high volt drop. i can't get hold of a bigger psu to test it on, so i'll have to take a chance & buy one.

how will i know what psu will have a big enough p4 supply?

13. greenbrucelee

what are your specs?

Is there a graphics card in the PC? if so and people might disagree with me here but I would never go below 450w regardless of how old or pants the graphics card is

14. misanthrope

misanthrope Bit Poster

it's a 6200 nvidia & i'm sure the psu is more than enough to handle the existing set-up. i ran the antec calculator & the requirement for the original system is 277W with the upgraded cpu requiring an additional 9W to take it to 286W.

only a 9W increase in cpu power from 1.9ghz to a 3.0ghz. also i still got the bleep fault with everything disconnected & only trying to boot cpu. seems like the psu, but i'm not confident.

15. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

These days i wouldnt dream of running anything smaller than a 600w PSU, unless its a HTCPC that needs to run quiet and is itx size.

From what you've already said it does seem like your running close to teh PSU's max output with very little room for overhead, so you will need a bigger Wattage one to make sure. And as that psu is a refurb it probably wont deleiver the origianl 300w spec, or one of the supply rails could be running low.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  16. greenbrucelee

What he said ^

I would upgrade the PSU, go for something like 650 to be sure and go for a quality brand like Antec, Corsair, Seasonic or Thermaltake.

17. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The power supply is rated at 300W but there is always overhead and you will lose around 15-20% or so if it's an older model, less if it's newer.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  18. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Hi,

After reading the manual fromthe Gigabyte site you had link to it said this about BIOS beep codes. Have listed both as not sure which one is yours but sounds like power fault.

􀁊AMI BIOS Beep Codes
    *Computer gives 1 short beep when system boots successfully.
    *Except for beep code 8, these codes are always fatal.
    1 beep Refresh failure
    2 beeps Parity error
    3 beeps Base 64K memory failure
    4 beeps Timer not operational
    5 beeps Processor error
    6 beeps 8042 - gate A20 failure
    7 beeps Processor exception interrupt error
    8 beeps Display memory read/write failure
    9 beeps ROM checksum error
    10 beeps CMOS shutdown register read/write error
    11 beeps Cache memory bad
    􀁊 AWARD BIOS Beep Codes
    1 short: System boots successfully
    2 short: CMOS setting error
    1 long 1 short: DRAM or M/B error
    1 long 2 short: Monitor or display card error
    1 long 3 short: Keyboard error
    1 long 9 short: BIOS ROM error
    Continuous long beeps: DRAM error
    Continuous short beeps: Power error

Reagrds

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  19. misanthrope

misanthrope Bit Poster

ok here is the update.

i have just fitted a brand new antec 450W psu & it produces exactly the same audiable fault signal as the 300W.

i've run out of ideas.

20. greenbrucelee

try a psu with 650 w as said before, seems as if the pc is using more pwer than it has to use therfore dying on you.