Problem with a Windows 2003 SBS

Discussion in 'Networks' started by dpbarry, Feb 23, 2010.

1. dpbarry

dpbarry Bit Poster

Hi Folks..

Have run into a bit of a problem here with a Windows 2003 SBS server with a Windows XP workstation connecting to it to access the Internet. It was working fine on Friday past but today for some reason the workstation will not connect to the Internet or even let me ping the Server..

At the server, I can access the internet no problem but cannot ping the workstation. Its a 2 NIC setup and everything appears as normal in terms of settings.

The Windows XP workstation is not in a domain (WORKGROUP) but is configured to pick up an IP address from DHCP which it appears to do okay but one thing I noticed is that if I try to repair the connection, it fails as though it can't talk to the dhcp server even though it initially received an IP address from it.

I have a NAS box which also picks up an IP address from the DHCP server and from the workstation, I can connect to the relevant shares on it but for the life of me, I cannot ping the server or connect to the internet from this workstation. Even setting the IP address to static doesn't make any difference.

Anyine any ideas as to what may be wrong.

Many thanks

Declan

I'm stumped!! I can't even use remote desktop to access the server which I could do on Friday

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
    Certifications: None at present
    WIP: None at present
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What setup do you have here mate? Is it a public and private NIC? Are you running ISA server?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. dpbarry

dpbarry Bit Poster

Its basically a Windows 2003 SBS server with 2 NIC's. I don't run ISA Server

Internal NIC is in address range 10.127.40.X with subnet 255.255.248.0 and 2nd NIC is on same address range with gateway to a router ip address.

Server can get out to Internet okay. Server appears to be giving out IP addressess okay via DHCP but I can't connect (or ping) to server from workstation or vice-versa but I can connect (and Ping) to a NAS box from a workstation that has been allocated an IP address from the server.

Declan

4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

can the server access also access the NAS box?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

As a test, can you assign a static IP and patch said machine directly in to the Internet router and retry?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What is the router? Is it a router\firewall?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. dpbarry

dpbarry Bit Poster

Hi Folks..

It's a cisco router that is on the school network. I've assigned a static IP address to the workstation and gave it the default gateway IP address of the router plus the IP addresses for DNS and the computer is working fine - Using it at moment to write this reply.

I'm starting to suspect a Microsoft update that ws automatically applied over the weekend becasue it was just after that that the problem started. On top of that, I have a VM Image of the Server on my computer which worked but now doesn't due to the same updates being installed. (I don't have both server and VM Image running at same time :D)

If I can work out which updates were installed then I could backtrack. :rolleyes:

Declan

8. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

You can view installed updates and the day of installation in add\remove programs, tick the show updates box.

Might be of help.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals