problem booting xp from CD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by misanthrope, Sep 19, 2008.

1. misanthrope

misanthrope Bit Poster

hello, i've assembled a pc using used parts & on initial boot i have a problem trying to install windows. the ntldr system file is not being recognised from the disk. ("NTLDR is missing Press Ctrl Alt Del to Restart").

i have tried another PATA CD drive using the same ribbon & also a CD SATA drive, both give me the same error message as before. i have tested the installation CD on another PC & it boots without problem.

the only thing i can think of now is flashing the bios, but unfortunately i only have the new bios on a usb stick & the bios utility insists on looking for the A: drive only.

i not very experienced & i've run out of ideas, my biggest worry is there may be a fault with the motherboard. :eek:

2. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

You say used parts, have they been tested?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  3. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

have you made sure the boot order is set to read the cd first cause it sounds like it is trying to boot from the hard drive and not finding anything

Certifications: ECDL, OCN Level 2 HTML, A+,MCDST,70-270
    WIP: MCSA/MCSE
  4. misanthrope

misanthrope Bit Poster

yes i set the boot order for CD drive first, the system tries to find the file from the CD.

5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Here's the Windows support article you require - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320397

Basically - NTLDR reads the content of your boot.ini file (which contains info on all the different boot sectors present), if this .ini file is damaged you may need to repair it in order to identify the hard-drives that are present.

It sounds like your PC is trying to boot to a harddrive. Easy way to check this (and the connections) would be to use a separate PATA (IDE) cable with your CD drive and disconnect everything else (including your HDD you're trying to install/boot to). Try this first and tell us if the error message still comes up!

Else you may need to repair the boot.ini file as previously stated. Follow these options if needs be:-

NB - You can use a set of floppy discs which preload the required files prior to using the XP CD to install the OS if you like. Microsoft article for said discs can be found here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

Firstly check that your boot order has CD before your HDD.

Reboot.

If you can get into the Windows XP CD off boot choose the recovery console.

When you get to a command prompt then use the bootcfg /rebuild command.

The first prompt will be Add installation to boot list? Choose yes.

When asked to enter Enter Load Identifier Give your OS a name - Windows XP Professional for instance

When asked for Enter OS Load Options type in /Fastdetect and press Enter.

Take your XP CD out of the drive and reboot. XP should load.

Come back to us if you have any questions.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

Is the cd okay ,and if so is the cd rom okay? have you tested it or can you swap it with a known good? are all the cables attached and working?

7. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

If the disk works, on another machine then it isn't that. If you have the boot order correct, then i would check the CD drive is fully functional.

8. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

The problem is there is no pre-existing windows on the computer. He cant actually get the cd to boot to actually install windows from my understanding of the post

9. misanthrope

misanthrope Bit Poster

"If the disk works, on another machine then it isn't that. If you have the boot order correct, then i would check the CD drive is fully functional."

i have tried 2 x PATA drives & 1 x SATA drive all with the same result.

"The problem is there is no pre-existing windows on the computer. He cant actually get the cd to boot to actually install windows from my understanding of the post"

correct.

10. Qs

Guys, guys! I was in the process of taming my essay of a post, re-read it and it should be a bit more clear. :)

More specifially... this:-

Qs :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. misanthrope

misanthrope Bit Poster

"It sounds like your PC is trying to boot to a harddrive. Easy way to check this (and the connections) would be to use a separate PATA (IDE) cable with your CD drive and disconnect everything else (including your HDD you're trying to install/boot to). Try this first and tell us if the error message still comes up!"

thanks, i was going to suggest disconnecting HDD also i'll try another PATA ribbon.

while i'm busy, is there a way to flash the bios using a USB stick if you are not in windows?

12. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

This is strange because a Q's said the NTLDR looks for the boot.ini file. But if there is no OSon the HD then there wouldn't be NTLDR either. Does it boot from disk at all? does it copy any files?

13. Qs

Yeah, but you'll need to obtain the files required to flash your BIOS first from you MOBO manufacturer's website - store them on the USB/Floppy and then set either USB/Floppy and your first boot device.

Reboot - tadaaa.

Qs

14. misanthrope

misanthrope Bit Poster

"This is strange because a Q's said the NTLDR looks for the boot.ini file. But if there is no OSon the HD then there wouldn't be NTLDR either. Does it boot from disk at all? does it copy any files?"

from my limited knowledge the system files (ntldr, boot.ini etc) initialise first & then load the boot files.

15. misanthrope

misanthrope Bit Poster

"Yeah, but you'll need to obtain the files required to flash your BIOS first from you MOBO manufacturer's website - store them on the USB/Floppy and then set either USB/Floppy and your first boot device."

Reboot - tadaaa."

i'll try that as well, cheers.

16. Qs

MBR loads NTLDR
    NTLDR reads BOOT.INI (and switches computer to flat memory model blah blah)
    NTLDR loads NTDETECT.COM
    NTDETECT.COM runs full hardware test, if it passes, hands control back to NTLDR
    NTLDR finds NTOSKRNL file (Windows Kernel file)
    NTLDR loads NTOSKRNL
    NTLDR passes control to HAL
    NTOSKRNL loads sys drivers and OS files
    Device Drivers
    Services

*yawn*

Qs

17. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Erm, misa, are you sure you have a genuine copy of windows XP?

If yes, and you are absolutely certain that the boot order is correct in the bios, I would suspect the cddrive, the cable or the controller.

Have you tried recreating the problem on another PC i.e. if you put the CD in another PC and the boot order has the CD before the HDD, does the install process start or do you get the same message?

Also, are you trying to install XP over another operating system as it sounds to me like there may be something on the HDD?

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  18. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

let us know how you get on
    good luck

19. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

During the boot sequence, NTLDR initiates and reads the BOOT.INI file.

this is once the OS is installed.

But if there is no OS then this wouldn't happen.

like Q's said if it doesn't boot from CD you can make boot setup disks.

20. misanthrope

misanthrope Bit Poster

ok here is the latest.

when the HDD is disconnected, windows boots from CD & goes into setup as expected.

as soon as HDD is plugged back into primary controller the problem occurs.

the bios is award v6.00 & i have set the boot sequence, but perhaps i need to do something else in bios?