Problem Acer Aspire 5000 laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by welshpet, Feb 8, 2010.

1. welshpet

welshpet New Member

Hi, I'm having problems with my Acer 5000 laptop. I switch it on and get to the desktop, but when I choose to open a programme using the mouse, I find that it doesn't recognise the keyboard, so I can't type in any instructions.

I've managed to get to the black screen and the c: prompt, but unfortunately, I can't type in any letters. I'm using my desktop now, and had looked up the 'HELP' section which said if I did get to the c: pompt to type in 'ipconfig' and 'ping 127.0.0.1' but I can't get to try this out anyway????

I can't even turn the laptop off by the usual method, and have to revert to taking the battery out. I'm at the end of my tether as to what has happened, as it was working perfectly ok last week. I usually switched it on, clicked on my name, and it opened up my internet connection firstly, allowing me to use my other programmes whist still having internet connection.

Anybody had similar experience of this type of problem, and can anyone help me solve this problem please? :confused2

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if you can't type anything it could be that the keyboard has become loose try grabbing the keyboard at the right top and lower left and give it a wiggle and see if it works. Also make sure your numlock key isn't on, if it is press Fn and numlock.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Have you tried plugging in a USB keyboard mate? Could be a hardware issue with the laptop.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

if your using xp or above for the moment you can use ON SCREEN KEYBOARD untill you fix it. Start --> all programs --> accesories --> Onscreen keyboard. Its around there anyway, can't remember the exact location.

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  5. Bongo_Fury

Bongo_Fury Bit Poster

Accessibility tab :D

Certifications: A+ MCDST
    WIP: N+
  6. welshpet

welshpet New Member

Thank you for all your suggestions. I'll have to give them a try. Kind regards . . . Petula

7. Cullincliff

Cullincliff New Member

Hi
    I have the same problem and I think it may be the battery, if you take the battery out and then turn on your laptop useing the mains lead you should find that the mouse and keyboard will work that is how I overcame the problem. All I have to do now is check out the battery to see if that is faulty.
    Baz

8. sly99

sly99 New Member

Cullincliff,

I was having the same problem and did like you said - removed battery, and now the keyboard and mouse work fine. THANK YOU!

9. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Strange solution, but no need to necrobump. :(

<< Move along now people, nothing to see here >>

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010