problem accessing website

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boycie, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I'm looking at a problem at the moment whereby the customer can browse to:
    http://www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk
    although no further.
    "Page cannot be displayed" from ie6 (!) and firefox 3.6 when attempting to enter the site via the english or welsh links.
    Tried from various other sites and cannot replicate problem.
    Sbs 2k3 with 10 clients and although i've only tried from the sbs box, it's apparently exactly the same for the clients.
    isp not aware of any dns issues and i've changed them to use google and opendns to no avail.
    I know IE6 is outdated, although this thing needs sorting out, although it just so happens this website is needed sooner rather than later. I should add I am not aware that they are unable to access any other sites.
    Any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
    Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What version of IE are they running mate? Not IE 6 is it? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

hey sparks,
    it is on the server which is why i downloaded the latest version of firefox to try, alas same result mate :-(

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Not with Bumbeat?

May need a JCB...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have had this before mate.

Do you have any other customers using the same ISP? If so can you jump onto one of there servers and see if the issue is replicated?

Some websites block IP's which have tried to access them to many times, try contacting the website and ask them to whitelist your clients public IP?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Mate, that was an awesome close - cheers! :beers2

haven't got any other customers on the same isp, although just tried to telnet to the site on 80 - refused.
    used a web proxy from their box and site loads up straight away! Virtual beer on it's way over!

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Happy days mate!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Would that not make the home page blocked also?

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

that's what was baffling me. gawd knows what they've got going on there, but i am about to contact them to get the i.p (hopefully) lifted.

10. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I had the same issue, the home page was fine as this loaded but any sub pages got the page could not be displayed.

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

After all this time the council came back and said the Ip was not on their list and provided another website on the same server which goes through the same checks. This one works!
    Tracert identical, goes to 30 hops and times out, although the second site works perfectly. Any ideas on this?

12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

My guess is that the site is blocking ICMP requests. I am not even able to ping the website.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

hi mate, yes, although it's listening on port 80 which is what is required in this case.

14. Sparky

Just to confirm, do both URLs resolve to the same IP address?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

hey sparks,
    yep, the site they gave me is
    www.healthchallengepembrokeshire.co.uk
    just by accident, i have discovered a ping to both these addresses is 194.80.226.3 although if you leave the www out it resolves to 67.215.62.132
    got me wondering now! it's starting to bug me this one! :D

16. Sparky

Chances are they only have the WWW A record setup for the website so don’t stress about that.

What are the other IT guys saying? Do they actually have a list of blocked IPs?

17. Boycie
    Honorary Member

yeah, fair enough.

they do have an ip ban scheme, although the ip address the site i am looking at use is apparently not on there mate. the second site (http://www.healthchallengepembrokeshire.co.uk) apparently uses the same ip ban scheme and that works fine. :blink

18. Sparky

What’s the page cannot be displayed message like? Is it a generic IE message or is it something that you are redirected to from the web server.

19. Boycie
    Honorary Member

sorry for the delay in replying mate. yep, it's the generic ie one, not one redirected by the site.