Printer Terminology: 70-271

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by karan1337, Jun 18, 2010.

1. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Had a bit of confusion regarding two terms mentioned in MS press book,

Print Spooling:- In addition, when a client is printing to a printer on the network, print spooling also manages the routing of the print job from the client to the appropriate print server.

Print router:-When a user prints to a network printer, the print router locates a remote print provider that can service the print job’s protocol.

Isn't locating the remote print provider same as routing the print job to the print server? And what exactly is meany by print job's protocol?

Thanks for answering :)

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  2. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

I've got to be honest, I haven't got a clue what they're on about there and I've passed the 271 and I spend most of my day adminstering and creating print queues LOL!
    I would agree with you though, the print queue would be pointing at a hostname or IP address for the device unless it's a badly wording statement and we're heading off into the realms of printer pooling as well. I'm going to shut up now as I'm obviously not helping LOL! It must be beer o'clock...

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Not sure either what they are getting at but..

I think they mean the remote print provider is the actual printing device, eg an HP laserjet.

The print job is spooled on the print server, ie a computer device, typically a dedicated server.

The print jobs protocol is the language the printer device understands.. ie the printer/driver that was selected when the user printed the job from their workstation.

I think, the info in the book is talking about print pooling but taken out of context it's hard to tell.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Look at diagram 9-1 on page 9-7 of the 271 press book and all is explained, the diagram explains it better.

Basically the server spooler (spooler is in two parts) contacts the print router and the print router carries out the action.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots