printer stuff

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by zxspectrum, May 6, 2008.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi people long time no see

Im looking to get a printer working, which is going to be connected wirelessley so i can print from a laptop and also it will be connected by usb to a main desktop. How would i go about getting it so that the laptop could send a document to the printer over the web??

Is this a wise thing to do as id normally just think you would download the document and do it that way rather than having it so that everyone could pick up your printer and therefore hack into it ??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

An option may be to look at either a wireless print server, or, if the wired & wireless computers are reachable between each other, have the wired computer act as a print server.

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Best way is to get one of the cheap routers with a printer server built in. Then anyone on the network can print to it, and if the main router has a firewall nobody else can.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+