Printer Mapping Scripts

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by jackd, Mar 14, 2006.

1. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Does anyone know a printer logon script that will map a printer when a user logs on. The path to the printer is \\M583LMR\HP930C and the printer model is a HP Deskjet 930C
    Thanks Jack D

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Any help? :blink

3. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

Here ya go

Basically throw this in your login script

net use lpt2 \\M583LMR\HP930C /persistent:yes

HTH

Certifications: MCSE/NT4, MCP/2K3, MCP+I, CCNA, Net+, A+
  4. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

It does not seem to work it says commmand completed succsessfully but no printer appears in printers and faxes

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

One site to look at is Computer Performance.

There are several simple scripts, including one that you just run & another one for if you need a logon script (as well as various others).

A couple of things that you may need to remember is to share the printer (which I believe is already the case), and ensure that the PC/Server that is hosting the printer actually carry's the printer drivers for client PC. For example, if your printer server is Windows XP it should automatically distribute the printer drivers to other WinXP/Win2k clients, however if the client is NT4, or a Win9x OS, you will have to install the drivers for that OS on the Printer Server. For this go to "Printer & Faxes" on the Printer Server, click File, then click Server Properties, go to the Drivers tab and install the appropriate drivers there.

Hope this helps.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Saw a case at work today where one of my guys could "install" a network printer, but got access denied when trying to use it. Turns out, he had never mapped a network share to that server previously, so even though he could browse to the server, the printer didn't connect properly. Our network manager (uber-borg) mapped a quick share, then re-browsed to the printer, clicked connect, and *viola* - one working printer.

Just a thought :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Thanks guys it works now!