Printer install problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raffaz, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Hi,
    My aunt has just bought a new printer coz her old one packed up. Its an HP 3900series. I cant get it to install. Her computer is really old, its an K6 running 98 with 64Mb RAM. I run the extractor pack (FEAD optimiser) then click install and it gives me a kernel error in user.dat(i think). Is there anyway i can just install the .inf files or whatever i need so she can use the printer. Forgot to mention, its a clean install of 98SE aswell. Cheers

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Whats the exact error you get? Is it a BSOD - or an install-generated error dialog?

Also, I'm not sure about Win98, but on later versions of windows, HP printer installs generate a log - if there are any errors relating to the install it might be worth trying to find a log file that might point you in the right direction (run a search for files modified around the time you tried the installation and look for something that looks like a log file)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Raff,

I had a quick look on the HP site, and they do list 98 drivers for most of the 3900 series. What is the exact model?
    Have you explored the disc that came with the printer? There might be folders for different drivers depending on what OS you are using.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Is this a USB printer? Windows 98's USB never worked well if at all.

Are you loading the whole printer software bundle, if so you are likely to grind that computer to a halt.

Try just loading only the printer driver, if there is a standard centronics printer port on the printer, use that.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Raffaz

Cheers for the replies. I managed to get it sorted. The minimum requirements were for a 233mhz processor, and the pc was registering at 232mhz. So i altered the config.ini file to 200mhz, and it installed no problem.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Cool beans :D :D

7. Raffaz

Just wondering if there was maybe an easier way round this problem for future reference tho. As thats all i could think of doing yesterday to solve it. Cheers

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well you are attempting to install a modern day device on an operating system which is no longer supported by Microsoft and is eight years old - time for an upgrade rather than a hair pulling session :biggrin

9. Raffaz

You wanna speak to me 70 yr old aunt on my behalf then, coz she wouldnt listen to me lol. Her words were "whats the point of upgrading, il probably drop down dead next week!" :)

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

LOL they all think like that, but tell her she will probably live to 100, and to make sure it doesn't go to waste if she does die next week, get her to leave it to you in her will. :biggrin

11. Raffaz

I think you and her would get on famously lol :)