Printer Engineer

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by JazzyJay, Apr 7, 2006.

1. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

some of you may or may not now i am now A+ certified soon to commence Network+

My goal is to become a printer service engineer but was wondering if anyone here curruntly works in the copier industry who could advise me the best route to take.

I am also attending a day course next month on assembling and servicing laser printers to get some practical experience but seeing as they are HP printers only and I wont receive a "recognised" certificate that would come of it I was wondering is there any other routes to take inorder to become a service engineer.

Thanks
    Jay

Certifications: CompTIA A+, OCR Level 2
    WIP: Network+, 70-270
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

To be honest, I can't see any reason why your HP cert won't be recognised. I did my Epson Engineering cert with Epson and I got a cert form them to say that I'm an "Epson Inkjet Printer Engineer", granted it may only be for only Epson Printers, but that doesn't stop me from giving other printers services (my dislike of it does :biggrin). Employers do like to see and display "branded" certs, whether it be from HP, Epson, Microsoft, Linux, etc.

Anyway... you have said "if anyone here currently works in the copier industry who could advise me the best route to take".

The copier industry is grouped into the "Office Equipment" realm which would also include the equipment in the reprographics dept & fax machines, which is slightly different from the "IT" realm. If you do want to get into that field there is an NVQ that some colleges are offering, it's the NVQ in Office Equipment Servicing. Some colleges/training centres call it something else but it's basically the same thing. Another course you may wish to consider is, maybe, the HNC in Electronic Engineering.

Hope this helps, if it doesn't I'm sure there will be more people along shorty.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

When I was an outsourced field engineer we supported a branch of Kall Kwik but only the SBS 2000 server we put in and the workstations.

There was some involvement with the large printing equipment,I did have to rebuild a couple of machines that controlled some of the huge printers it was just a matter of re installing the driver and setting up the print queue.

The rest of them had UNIX boxes controlling them which we didn't touch as like I said we only really supported the business side of their IT set up.

We had another printing press company that I went to a couple of times but again only got involved with their business servers and workstations.

As well as the suggestions above why not walk into a printing shop on the high street or phone a printing press company and just ask them outright what they would suggest. Maybe they can point you in a good direction.

I've seen a lot of Ricoh printers in some of the places I've worked.

As Wagnerk said, the office equipment servicing field is a different ball game to the IT support one, I'd look at those courses he suggested.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  4. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Bit Poster

Hi guys, Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
    I have decided to do the laser jet course day release and start the BTEC first diploma in engineering at my local college during the evening then see if I can get a trainee job by word of mouth and sned my CV to prospective companys see how that works... :)

Certifications: CompTIA A+, OCR Level 2
    WIP: Network+, 70-270
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Jazz,

Just picked up on this thread. Best of luck with the printing job :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT