Printer aliases - Win 2k8 R2

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leehaa, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Hi,

A colleague of mine has an issue whereby they've set up a print alias for two print servers to use, one at a time.

The alias works fine. My colleague adds printers to one of the servers and then flags them to be listed. This then flags them up in the usual place via adsi edit. This part works fine. However, when my colleague then goes to amend the ServerName and uNCName in adsi edit these settings are updated and show as changed initially ...but then revert back to the original setting - sometimes within a minute and sometimes within a day (or even disappear totally from the list of printers in adsi edit). Sometimes the new settings stick and all is fine. Whatever happens in adsiedit the printers still remain in the list of added printers on the server - it's literally just the part in adsi edit where the problem lies. It's clear there's some kind of conflict here. I've tried the process myself but so far haven't been able to re-produce the error (the printers and amended settings via adsi edit have remained). I've only done one or two printers though so it may just be a coincidence that these particular ones haven't changed back / disappeared.

We both have the same permissions on our accounts. The only thing that's different that I'm aware of is that I have connected to the primary DC (which I'm hoping isn't causing the issue - alll our DCs appear to be healthy and talking happily). My colleague connected to one that is a GC and does DNS but no FSMO roles.

Has anyone seen this kind of behaviour before - can you shed any light?

Cheers,

Lee

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

....may I just add that the environment is still 2003 forest and domain functional level. It has been prepped for 2008 R2 and the DCs are a mixture of 2008 R2 and 2003. The PDC and the DC my colleague was connecting to are both 2003 servers.

3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

...looks like this is related to the print spooler job and a pruning service that it uses. Maybe it's somehow believing the new aliased objects to be orphaned? ...