Prince2 Foundation

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by HamStar50, Jan 13, 2012.

1. HamStar50

HamStar50 Bit Poster

Hi all,

I bit the bullet and signed up to an online course to aid me study Prince2 (foundation) as the official book in waaaay to dry for me to take in. I'm a bit out of my elemant with Prince2 as i've always followed the typical IT cert route of read the book/complete the course, do exam dumps and then sit the exam.

I've struggled immensly trying to locate *current* (accurate) prince2 foundation dumps (ideally free :tongue). Is anyone able to point me in the right direction for such a thing?

Whilst on the matter, any information outside of course material (as mentioned i'm studying an online course) that's exam focused would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Networking & Communications, MBCS (British Computer Society), CompTIA A+, MCP in Win XP, MCP in Server 2003, Citrix CCA: Presentation Server 4, Cisco CCNA, CompTIA Linux+, PRINCE2 Foundation
    WIP: PRINCE2 Practitioner
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would strongly read the exam agreements that you agree to when you sit any exam.

Braindumps (or dumps as you call them) are a form of cheating, if/when caught you can:

1. Be decertified
    2. Be Banned from any future exams and
    3. In some cases face legal action.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Despite being wrong on so many levels...

Prince2 is more like an academic exam than an IT certification exam.
    They are paper-based and sat in exam conditions.
    Exam papers are checked in and out by the examiner and while there are always ways to cheat the system, this certainly makes it harder.
    The practitioner papers change about twice a year and there are always a couple of different scenarios so you can never be sure which one you will get until you open it. Again, these are delivered by a courier on the morning of the exam and sealed.

Prince2 foundation is of limited professional use - the only real point of doing it is because you want to go on to practitioner. It's really not worth cheating on because it really isn't difficult. If you're struggling with the concepts then the course you have signed up for must be rubbish.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Well I've learnt something new today :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

I've got my PRINCE2 course at work next month. Is the foundation a written exam as I thought it was like the ITIL Foundation (multiple choice)?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yes, it is paper-based and multiple choice.

7. HamStar50

HamStar50 Bit Poster

Thanks for the input gents.

Me querying the dumps was not so much for cheating purpose but more so you get an idea of what to expect from a layout perspective, type of content etc. Questions are being changed all the time therefore there is limited benefit from purely memorising questions.

Thanks JonnyMX, I also wasnt aware it would be paper based - do you get results straight away or is there is waiting period?

For me personally, the intention is to go one and one day become practitioner level (with the experience behind me, of course). I do a non-formal method based (sort of) managing project deployment and management for WAN networks in my current role but badly - thus i'm skilling up to introduce Prince2 and do it properly.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Networking & Communications, MBCS (British Computer Society), CompTIA A+, MCP in Win XP, MCP in Server 2003, Citrix CCA: Presentation Server 4, Cisco CCNA, CompTIA Linux+, PRINCE2 Foundation
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You get the results straight away usually.
    As they are multiple choice the examiner just has an overlay they can use to mark them quickly.
    I think the foundation is usually sat mid-week on courses that go on to cover the practitioner stuff so you need to know there and then if it's worth you carrying on.
    The paractitioner papers are sealed and sent away for marking.

Without giving too much away, the key to the foundation paper is understanding (or rather, remembering) the main roles and responsibilities. The official manual is indeed very dry, but there is no point in trying to find a book that tries to make it make sense. That's not what the exam covers. You need to know which documents are used at which stage of a project and who is responsible for them, and when certain things happen.

If you are thinking of going on to pratitioner, I'd do it sooner rather than later.
    There is very little 'extra' covered for the practitioner exam - it just has more complex questions and requires a deeper understanding of the processes. If you leave it too long, you'll just have to start again.

There is also bound to be some kind of time limit. To remain registered you need to re-certify every 5 years so there is bound to be a time limit between taking the foundation and then going on to do practitioner. I dunno what it is though.

HamStar50 likes this.
  9. HamStar50

HamStar50 Bit Poster

Cheers mate for an extremely useful post right there!

10. HamStar50

HamStar50 Bit Poster

Just for completeness, I sat the foundation exam on Friday. They no longer give you the results immediately. I have to wait a week before I get my results (by email). For reference, I was a self study student taking the exam through the Open exams and not via a tutored course.

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That's probably the difference.
    I'm guessing they only trust certain people to mark the exams, and on a tutored course you need to know straight away if you pass foundation because it's a requirement for doing practitioner.

Worth noting as well, they do give you the option to resit the paper once on the tutored course...