1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prince 2 Foundation. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Service Management Frameworks' started by Jiser, May 17, 2012.

1. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Hi all. Got my ITIL Foundation results today 39/40 :).

Anyway my question:
    Is Prince 2 foundation worth it?

Ive read around a bit and people seem to think its just cv filler and not really well regarded. I can understand it is important if your running projects based around the prince 2 methodology etc.

I am looking to boost my CV/knowledge of the methodlogy/project management - mostly for longer term career development. So from your own experiances and knowledge was Prince 2 worth it for you and other people you know?

I can do an online course + the exam for £250, I could not find it any cheaper than that. Even the public exam was £220.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  2. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

Congrats on getting your ITIL foundations :)

I'm not Prince2 qualified (the only project management "cert" I have is part of my NVQ 3 in Management), however imo (from what I've looked into), it depends on your point of view. Prince2 foundation is like the ITIL foundation, it gives you the terminology and the basics, but not how to actually project manage. So the foundation certification does a few things:

1. Yes a CV filler but also
    2. Prepares you for the PRINCE2 Practitioner level certification
    3. Shows that you have, at least, the basic terminology and concepts for when you join a project management team that uses Prince2.

But like I said, this is only my opinion :)

Last edited: May 18, 2012
    Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  3. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

I did PRINCE2 only as the company paid for the course. I think it's good to get the basic terminologies so that you have an idea when Project Managers are talking to you in their language so to speak. If you don't deal with PM's or want to do Projects then no it's not worth doing IMHO as it's one of those topics you forget very quickly unless using it regularly.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)