Prince 2 Foundation. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Service Management Frameworks' started by Jiser, May 17, 2012.

1. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Hi all. Got my ITIL Foundation results today 39/40 :).

Anyway my question:
    Is Prince 2 foundation worth it?

Ive read around a bit and people seem to think its just cv filler and not really well regarded. I can understand it is important if your running projects based around the prince 2 methodology etc.

I am looking to boost my CV/knowledge of the methodlogy/project management - mostly for longer term career development. So from your own experiances and knowledge was Prince 2 worth it for you and other people you know?

I can do an online course + the exam for £250, I could not find it any cheaper than that. Even the public exam was £220.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on getting your ITIL foundations :)

I'm not Prince2 qualified (the only project management "cert" I have is part of my NVQ 3 in Management), however imo (from what I've looked into), it depends on your point of view. Prince2 foundation is like the ITIL foundation, it gives you the terminology and the basics, but not how to actually project manage. So the foundation certification does a few things:

1. Yes a CV filler but also
    2. Prepares you for the PRINCE2 Practitioner level certification
    3. Shows that you have, at least, the basic terminology and concepts for when you join a project management team that uses Prince2.

But like I said, this is only my opinion :)

Last edited: May 18, 2012
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

I did PRINCE2 only as the company paid for the course. I think it's good to get the basic terminologies so that you have an idea when Project Managers are talking to you in their language so to speak. If you don't deal with PM's or want to do Projects then no it's not worth doing IMHO as it's one of those topics you forget very quickly unless using it regularly.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)
  4. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

I've not done it but it's on my to do list - it's something recruiters look for and foundation P2 appears to be relatively straight forward.

did you get round to doing it? how did you find it?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design
  5. ClaireAgutter

ClaireAgutter New Member

If you're looking at PRINCE2 it's worth knowing there is an update due later this year. If you're going to invest in the course, you might want to wait for the latest materials. I can't post a link yet, but if you search 'axelos prince2 update' you'll see the dates etc.

6. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

Finally finished all the study (got an online course from knowledge academy for a tenner - there was a deal [I'm sure there's always a deal somewhere for these courses!] via Reed, the recuitment guys)

Hardest bit now is to see how/where I can do the exam online or in person - everywhere seems to have bundled training with classroom courses so it looks quite expensive.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design
  7. ClaireAgutter

ClaireAgutter New Member

Hi Damo101 try Peoplecert or EXIN, both sell online exam vouchers to the public. Good luck! Claire