Previous job interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jammed24, Jun 7, 2008.

1. jammed24

jammed24 Bit Poster

Hi, few months ago I've had a job interview one particular question which have bothered me since is 'When do you escalate calls and when do you send emails?'. I never expect such questions would come up as I was very much prepared for the interview. That question have given me less confidence now for the future interviews and I am bascially scared now to apply for jobs.

Could somebody give me some advice,

Thanks

J24

2. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hi,

I think it would help if you mentioned what type of role you applied for and what type of escalation. It could mean, if it was a 1st line role, escalation to the Incident Managers or it could mean escalation to your Team Leader/Manager.

In any case you should maybe say something along the lines of "when the incident has breached it's SLA fix time" or if the incident is likely to affect a large number of users.

As for emails I'm not really sure, in my last job on the helpdesk we communicated via email around 30% of the time..?

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

As already pointed out; it really depends on what position you are applying for.

Perhaps the clue was in the job description/criteria? I would swot up as much as you can on the company before attending an interview. If you know someone already there, it's a bonus. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Relax, it's a pretty standard question and every interview is going to be different.

I recently attended an interview for an IT Support Engineer and during the interview I was only asked one technical question. The other questions were just general questions about my CV and work history. Easy!

(got offered the job BTW after a second interview!)

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The server room is on fire - you escalate a call.

Guy phones up to ask when his new laptop is arriving - you send an email to whoever is arranging the new laptop.

:biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sounds about right to me. :thumbleft

I would say that you escalate the call when you don't know the answer, can't find an answer in the kdb and the call needs an immediate fix.

An email would do when the fix is not urgent. You then have some time to look for an answer, talk to colleagues etc before getting back to the caller.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. jammed24

jammed24 Bit Poster

thanks for the reply, yea got another interview next week for a helpdesk so hopefully I wil do better this time .

Reply Sparky, yea thats what I told them last time but they didnt look to impress with the answer I gave them. I basically said that if something needs to be resolved urgent I escalate the calls but I would only send emails if the user is requesting for specific information.

Not too sure if that is right?

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Problem is that users generally say everything is urgent! :blink

There will be probably be call logging procedures and possible SLAs in place so if asked perhaps say you will follow what the procedures are and the severity of the call.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs