Preventing Inheritance

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Boycie, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

If you untick the *inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects. Include these entries explicitly defined here* (from within advanced security settings for permissions.)
    You are prompted with a warning box of;

Copy- The permission entries that were previously applied from the parent to this object, click copy.

Remove- To remove the permissions that were previously applied from the parent and keep those permissions defined here, click remove.

Cancel- Cancel this option.

I am confused. Copy and cancel do the same things, don't they?
    By cancelling, you leave the subfolders with inherited permissions and by copying the permissions you also inherit the set permissions. :blink
    I know i am wrong, i just need some to say where!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Remove: Removes everyone from the ACL. You will then have to define everything manually.
    Copy: Copies all currently set ACEs, whether inhertited or explicit, to the ACL as explicit. So basically you will end up with the same permissions and all, except that they will be set explicitly so you can edit/define them. Nothing will be implicit in the ACL.
    Cancel: Leaves everything as is. The reason that it seems the same as Copy is because all the permissions stay intact. However, Copy essentially turns the permissions into explicit permissions, while cancel leaves them as they are (implicit/explicit).

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Great explanation, thanks :clap

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT