Prevent users viewing Active Directory

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by Jellyman_4eva, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi all,

After a bit of a break I am back in the cert hunt starting with 70-290..

I am getting through it all quite well but have a general question...

How can I prevent domain authenticated users and everyone from using the Active Directory Users and Computers snap in and viewing the Active Directory.. I have toyed with this very briefly by doing such things as assigning users and groups the deny read permission on the OU or object...

I am only doing this in VMWare so its not a production environment but I am curious as to if/how this is done... I am worried I may use a permission which could bugger it all up!!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That snap in is not there by default, it's only available when you install the admin pack *adminpak.msi*

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Thats a good point...

But say if they do have it installed for whatever reason... this is just a theoretical security question!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  4. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

you can add a software restriction policey and add the path to the program for example C:\system32\ etc etc

If someone has copied the file to another location so that path is not valid in the example then you could set a new hash rule

All above done via gp

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003