Prerequisites for MCSA Windows Server 2012

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by chris101, Sep 17, 2014.

1. chris101

chris101 Bit Poster

I have been in 1st line support for around 5 years with some exposure to desktop support as well.

I am pretty competent in supporting,installing and configuring windows xp-7.

Can I jump into MCSA windows 2022 or would I need to understand some more areas like N+ first prior to commencing the course?

Thanks

2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

If you've got no exposure to server support it'll be a fairly tall order diving in to the MCSA 2012, is there any opportunity to spend some time shadow higher level engineers and get some exposure to server operating systems?

If you've not got any certifications yet then the A+ and N+ are wealth worth getting first before trying for server certs, also if you've got a good working knowledge of Win 7 why not look at getting certified in that first to validate your skills?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. chris101

chris101 Bit Poster

Thank you for your response.

The skills I do have with servers is administering AD, I have setup a basic server a few years back following a guide but that's about it.

With Windows 7 although I have no qualifications I have been able to get jobs during the interview process so didn't think it would be such an issue?

Do you you still think with my good knowledge of windows 7 but small knowledge of servers would warrant an n+ training course first or could I jump straight in?

4. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

I think you answered your own question really. With such little knowledge of server tech it would be difficult for you to do, plus it wouldn't match up with your experience on a CV and in an interview.

Based on what you said, if you have a lot of experience with Windows 7, looking at the 70-680 wouldn't be a bad idea, if for a learning experience at first rather then a certification. I myself started A+, did MOS when it was offered and am now working towards N+ even though I know I want to go server administration route. Experience and knowledge in broader area will help you at this point I personally believe. If you have been in IT for 5 years then A+ and N+ should be pretty straight forward for you and dare I say MCSA Win 7 too. Do not take this as a give up on server tech though, ask in work for more exposure to it, training from the senior staff etc.

Are you looking for a training course or self study?

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  5. chris101

chris101 Bit Poster

I would be looking at a training course.

Unfortunately I work for a large corp company and their server team are based in another office, so only rare real conversations are through escalation.

I spent some time on train signal MCSE win 2008 and was able to follow the guide easyily to setup a server.

Would this be a good indicator that I should be ok with training courses?

I also emailed a few training courses companies and they said as long as I have A+ knowledge, I should be fine with an MCSA windows 2012 course...

6. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

This is where the issue comes in. Training course companies are a business at the end of the day. They rely on getting people like yourself signed on to these things to have the money rolling in. In the contracts after a certain point you can't back out in till the debt is settled whether you are happy with it or not..... whether you pass or not.

I hope someone will back me up on this but I've been in this position and learned the hard way. In my honest opinion you should not be sitting a course with the intention of a certification in windows server 2012. Have you done any certifications before? What you should be doing right now is certifying the knowledge you hold right now not using a certification as a learning tool.

I recently spoke to one looking for a good course as I know the path I want. Network+ by November, MCSA by mid 2015 and then probably exchange after that as I am slowly being given more stuff to look after. What they were saying on the phone though was all the same.

I don't mean to sound harsh and like a bitter person for having fell for this. Please think about this carefully and not rush into it on the promise of someone at the end of a phone.

Oh and setting up a server is barely 1% of what's involved on a day to day basis. Unless you are a server engineer working on VM's for a hosting company..... they probably spin up new servers all day long! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +