Preparing for the Comptia A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by LethalToxin, Jul 28, 2012.

1. LethalToxin

LethalToxin New Member

I am hoping to take the A+ cert within the next 6 months.
    I have been trying to self study using Mike Meyers study guide

My question is, how much in detail must I know?
    I've been going crazy reading his chapter on microprocessors...Do I really need to know every little thing on every single CPU to pass the exam?

Do I really need to know every single CPU package and L1/L2 cache size, speed, etc. of all these CPU's?

I mean I understand the general concept to a decent extent of microprocessors. I understand the architecture of the CPU, how it ticks, how data is transmitted to and from it. How it connects with the rest of the PC, cache, etc.
    Hyperthreading, pipelining, multi-core, etc.

The only part of the chapter I don't really know is the specifics of each model...I don't know the speed and cache sizes of random CPU's.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I remember having exactly the same question when I was doing my A+. I took the view that even if they did ask any questions on specific CPUs there were unlikely to be more than two across both the exams, therefore my time was better spent studying other topics.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

there will be 100 questions asked in 90 minutes, this is plenty of time to get through the exam along with time left at the end to review others... in relation to the questions that come up within this time, I remember when I was preparing for my exam and I never felt like I was ever going to be ready, I changed the date of my exam a number of times because I didn't think I would be ready... but then I took it and passed both exams first time, it's pot-luck what comes up but as long as you feel that you have done all you can then you probably will do fine. Good luck

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. cee134

cee134 New Member

Meyer's actually answers that direct question in one of his videos you can find on YouTube. He says, that you don't need to know a great detail for what size the caches are for every type of CPU, but you do need to know the difference between the caches, family types for CPU's and sockets. In other words, know the general overview for essentials. But for practical, that would be more detailed, like how to do Window's back-ups, config. networks, all the ways to get to the device manager on all the versions of Windows 2000 - 7, ect.

on YouTube:
    CompTIA A+ Certification Tips and
    Mike Meyers explains CompTIA A+ Certification Exam

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
    WIP: A+
  5. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

My only advice is learn everything you can before you take the exam. Since it's two exams a lot of books breakup the sections. If you have a book like this i would read up on all the 701 objectives for the book/test. Take the test after you pass the 701 move onto the 702. good luck to you.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, security +, CCNA