Preparing for Linux+??

Discussion in 'Linux+' started by Phonemystrow, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Phonemystrow

Phonemystrow New Member

Hello. I'm new here, probably very obvious to anyone posting a response. I'm currently preparing for Linux+, any advice or knowledge that anyone may have to offer about the test or just about linux in general would be greatly appreciated. I have very little time invested in Linux, but I believe I have made some very large strides. As I said, I'll be taking this exam at the end of January 07, so any advice between now and then would be helpful. Who knows....maybe I will have some advice I could offer someone. Thanks. 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP
    WIP: Linux+, MCSA 2003
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

This is a cert I am interested in, but I am trying to keep to the MCSA path for now.

I would be interested to here what materials you are using to prepare and how you are finding the course.

Good luck.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

What resources are you using to study with?

What distribution of Linux (Fedora Core, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, etc...) are you using to practice with?

How much time do you have invested in studying so far?

Have you accessed the information about this exam from CompTIA?

What is your motivation to sit this exam at this time (as opposed to any other certification exam)?

It would help us answer your question if we knew a little bit more about your situation. Thanks.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Phonemystrow

Phonemystrow New Member

Sorry Guys, I actually posted this as a new thread on the Linux+ Forum instead of using quick reply.

Well, first of all I'd like to thank the both of you for replies to the post. I am currently actually using Ubuntu Hoary Hedgehog Server for practice. I have basically just been playing around with the distro. The main motivation for the Linux+ is that at my job, we are seriously considering adding some Linux servers. We are also talking about using the SLES (Suse Linux Enterprise Server), being that Novell and Suse have merged. At work, it is a Novell based network.

For a while I was using an old Linux+ bible that was actually for the XKO-001 test, until I lost that. Now I've been more reliant on the web, general Linux books and hands on experience to get me through. It will probably most likely be closer to the beginning of Feb. before I take the test, because I intend on getting my hands on an updated Linux+ before I actually jump in with both feet.

The current experience I have with Linux is:

Successfully installing and using LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP).

Installing PHPBB as the forum for the test page I created.

Installing and using SSH server.

Installing and using Gnome Desktop Enviornment from the server console.

My current projects with Ubuntu are:

Setting up a Squid proxy server, also using DansGuardian for content filtering.

Setting up a DHCP server / Gateway.

Thanks for posting, sorry for the long post!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP
    WIP: Linux+, MCSA 2003
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Fortunately, there are just tons of free resources on the web. The Linux Documentation Project is a good place to access. Also, our sister site The Linux Tutorial is specifically designed with the student in mind.

You didn't say so but I can only assume you have gone to the CompTIA website and downloaded the study domains for the current Linux+ exam. If not, I'd recommend you do so.

If your company is moving to Novell, your next step after the Linux+ should be getting to know SUSE better. As a distro, it operates a bit differently than Ubuntu or other Debian-based distros.

As you probably know, Novell maintains its own certification program. You can read about it at their Certification and Testing site.

Good luck in your pursuits and let us know if you have any specific questions. BTW, we used to have a bunch of Linux+ QOTD adn QOTW around here. Use the forum's search feature and see if you can find a few. They might help. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+