Prepare 70-642 in less than a month.

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by cryptod, Jun 3, 2011.

1. cryptod

cryptod New Member

Hi everyone,
    I got a voucher from Microsoft Dreamspark to pass one free exam from this list. It expires in June,30. i'm thinking to pass the 70-642 since i thought it would be a good entry point to the Microsoft Certification World.
    The problem is that i have no real experience in windows server environment. However, i'm actually preparing my CCNA (have already the CCENT).
    Is it possible for someone like me to prepare for the 70-642 in less than a month ? or should i choose another exam from the list ?

2. Gogs

Gogs Bit Poster

I've just passed mine today after about a month of study. I basically had to get through 3 books and watched CBT Nuggets on the train every day and spent a few hours a day on a Server VPC. So it is possible. However I'm fortunate to work in an IT training environment.

Have you had a look at the exam objectives to give you some idea of what it entails?

TS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring

If you're already familiar with some of the basic concepts of DNS and DHCP it will make your life easier.

Certifications: in Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Server Administrator (646) , Security+
  3. cryptod

cryptod New Member

Didn't know about the existence of CBT videos for this one until i read your post, thanks !
    I've already set up a virtualized environment and started reading the Microsoft Press book for 70-642. i'll try to get my boss to buy me the CBT videos. I hope that will do the job.

4. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

Have you got the latest version of the MS press book? If not you will need to look up all the R2 stuff as well. I took this exam on Wednesday and I would say it was fairly challenging and I have a lot of experience in managing Windows servers.
    To go from no real experience to taking this exam in a month, I would say is going to be very challenging. These exams are not meant to be easy and I would say they are not meant to be passed with no experience and studying in a short period of time and that is why they usually recommend a minimum amount of experience before taking these. Of course for some people this is a bit of a chicken and egg scenario but that's an argument for another day .....

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  5. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I'd avoid going straight into the server 2k8 exams, you'll now need R2 material, as exams are based on this.

To go into it with no experience could be a waste of time, i'd go for something a bit more foundation, perhaps the Windows 7 Configuring, 70-680

either way, good luck on whichever one you choose :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud