preparation for CCENT (UK)

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by sunpala, Jul 4, 2009.

1. sunpala

sunpala New Member

Hi,
    I am in technical support now, but plan to switch over to networking in the future.
    Can anyone help me with few queries I have please?
    I like to start with CCENT and then progress on to CCNA. Hope it's the correct step.
    And is there any good study materials and simulators I can download. I have found few books which are all very expensive.
    Does one can really do it himself?

Thanks

2. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

I used the following:

http://www.careeracademy.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=17

The package comes complete with MeasureUp practice exams for both ICND 1 & 2 and also RouterSims (a really good router and network simulator).

I also used Richard Deal's CCNA Study Guide:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Certified-Network-Associate-640-802-Certification/dp/0071497285/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246735146&sr=1-3

This also came with a slimmed down Boson simulator and practice exams. I passed ICND 1 last week and felt more than prepared after using these materials, however, I do also have experience of using Cisco equipment at work.

Hope this is of some help to you

Pete

3. sunpala

sunpala New Member

Thanks pete.grant. much appreciated. I will look at those links.
    I am new to networking though I have an idea about it. Do I stand a chance in the job market?

4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

^ work on your CCENT, then start looking out for jobs for entry level network engineer jobs. Usually saying working towards CCNA witha couple years IT experience.

IF your anywhere near Bolton theres one been kicking about on jobsites which sounds pretty good.

Good luck

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. sunpala

sunpala New Member

Thanks danielno8, will begin my learning now. I'm in Cardiff actually....

6. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

With a qualification like CCNA you stand a really good chance. Problem at the minute is that there are a lot more people out of work who are going for fewer jobs. Also, salaries seem to be decreasing - I have seen jobs on CW for CCIE's paying 40-50k!

I often read in Computing magazine articles from employers stating that there is still high demand for IT staff. This somewhat contradicts the results you get when searching on CW. However, I definitely would not let this put you off studying towards CCNA!

7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I’d suggest the Network+ or at least have the equivalent knowledge. Then approach the CCENT. The CCNA normally implies a certain amount of experience in networking (usually with Cisco equipment).

8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

First off, 40-50K could be a a decent pay, depending on lifestyle and cost of living in the area of employment. However, if you're suggesting the pay is much lower than it used to be, there are a few reasons for this.

A) The salary surveys usually seem to be inflated, and don't always take geographical areas and cost of living into account.

B) Who is accepting these jobs? CCIE's are supposed to a great deal of experience. Either the job is being accepted by qualified people that need to settle; or by paper certs who can't bring the necessary experience to the table.

I don't think a qualified CCIE in New York city is earning $40K annually

9. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

I'm not denying 40-50k is a good salary, I'm only trying to point out that as a result of greater unemployment, ever decreasing salaries and ever increasing numbers of people getting certified, the IT labour market is full of extremely well qualified people and as a result is a really competitive place to be.