Preconfigured User Profile

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Monkish, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Monkish

Monkish Bit Poster

Anyone else had this issue?

In exercise 4: Set up a Preconfigured User Profile (Microsoft Press 2nd Ed: 70-290), when setting the desktop background to .jpg file (standard windows images) the background does not get carried over. All the other settings do, but no the background. If I set it to .bmp file, it works fine.

Certifications: A+, Net+, Security+
    WIP: MCSE
  2. Triton.Deep

Triton.Deep Bit Poster

Try enabling Active Desktop and see if the jpg file starts to show up finally. I know I've read that before, but not sure how out of date it is. I mean...I know I've read before something about Active Desktop needing to be enabled for jpg files to be used as background images.

Hope that helps,

J.

Certifications: MCITP EMA, MCTS, MCSE (x3), CCNA, A+,etc
    WIP: MCM for Exchange probably. Not Sure
  3. Monkish

Monkish Bit Poster

How do you do that?

Certifications: A+, Net+, Security+
    WIP: MCSE
  4. Triton.Deep

Triton.Deep Bit Poster

There are a bunch of ways to enable/disable Active Desktop, but since your playing with GPO's...:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Active Desktop

You can browse that path from the Local Securty Policy for the system, or any GPO that applies user configuration settings to your users, such as the Default Domain Policy. However; just a word of warning; better to just create new GPO's instead of loading down the default ones. At any rate, enableing Active Desktop does allow for the use of jpg files.

J.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938789.aspx

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It has been the case since Win98 maybe even 95, that you needed Active Desktop enabled to be able to show anything other than bitmaps as wallpaper.

Personally, i never use it because i find it to be annoying and a drain on resources :dry

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Triton.Deep

Triton.Deep Bit Poster

Exactly :P It's why I had a hard time remembering it, the last time I toyed with it was WAY back then. I came to a similiar conclusion as you, mostly useless. However; he doesn't know that yet and it's a good exercise in how sometimes things are interdependent.

J.