practise labs

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by lachesis, Feb 28, 2005.

1. lachesis

lachesis New Member

I got a really good routersim (CCNA Virtual Lab Gold) and am fed up of just doing the labs that come with them cos they sort of guide you through the process.

What I'm looking for is some questions/tests (free) that say heres a network diagram, find out the problem or make this host able to telnet to RouterB??

ANy ideaS?

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I did a quick search of Google and didn't find anything free in terms of lab assignments for routing. You might want to try picking up the lab companions for the Cisco NetAcademy, since they have the "official" labs for the CCNA. I found a link to Amazon.co.uk. Just look for the book for Semesters 1 and 2 then the second book for 3 and 4.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/026-3089467-4267652

You could also pick up a copy of the engineering journal/workbook for each of course which are filled with labs as well:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1587131153/ref=pd_sim_b_dp_1/026-3089467-4267652

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. lachesis

lachesis New Member

so these books just contain lots of problems that you are required to solve?

I was advised that there will be two simulators on the CCNA exam, one will be focused on troubleshooting and the other on routing, is this accurate?

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Pretty much. Without violating my NDA, I can say there were two simulation items that behaved just as if you were consoled into a router. In a way, this is pretty forgiving since you can set up a configuration and then test it to see if it works. If it doesn't, you can change your settings until you get it right (keeping in mind that the test has a time limit). You are only locked in once you click "Next" and move on to another question.

This means that you *must* have hands on experience, either directly with Cisco equipment or with a good simulator. I've never used the simulator you are using so I can't comment on it but in my experience, sims support the commands and labs they are designed to support. They don't always support every type of lab configuration you want to try out.

Yes, the lab companions and engineering journals contain a number of lab setups for you to try out and so you can learn how to configure different routing scenarios. The one way to learn your way around the command line is to practice, practice, practice until you are even dreaming about using the CLI.

Hope this helps some.

Certifications: A+ and Network+