practice tests on sale

Discussion in 'Network+' started by chuckles, Sep 1, 2010.

1. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

According to my e-mail, both uCertify and PrepLogic are having a sale on their practice exams. Although uCertify's sale "ends" today according to e-mail but last time they did this the sale lasted longer than the closing date :D. I've had good success with both of these vendors.

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Some of the preplogic ones are a really good deal £38 instead of £120 :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

thanks for this chuckles,

which would you recommend? Im considering using Preplogic for N+, as GBL points out, its a good saving for 300 questions

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

When I did my A+ I had demos of just about every practice exam provider out there. I never though much of Ucertify to be honest when I got some real exams for the A+ I used preplogic and transcender. For My N+ I used transcender however I would say the quality of preplogic is far superior to Ucertify.

Download some demos and see for yourself.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Well, it will be a personal choice. When I studied for the A+ bridge (which is what you pass to get the 700's cert when you already have the 600's cert) there were only two practice tests specifically for the bridge test. That was uCertify and Transcender. The PrepLogic practice tests were for the current version only. So, this was my first exposure to both uCertify and Transcender. At first I wasn't crazy about the uCertify because it was different in navigating and how you test. However, once I adjusted to it (after a couple weeks) I actually came to like it better. One of its features that is very good is its ability to completely customize your test. You can pick Domains and even questions to build a test and focus on whatever you need help with. It also does a good job of tracking the progress.

The Transcender (at least to me) seemed to focus on flash cards as a learning tool along with the tests. For the record, my personal choice is many, many, many questions with explanations. I use them in place of spending a lot of time with notes, etc. I feel like I'm paying these companies to ferret out the important parts which is another reason I like lots of questions. So uCertify had more questions but Transcender had more flash cards. Which do YOU prefer? See, its a personal choice. I also took the PrepLogic practice exams which were for the current A+ (and not the bridge). It had plenty of questions but the fewest number. So, I liked the uCertify test engine (once I adjusted to it and in fact bought their S+ and N+ exams as a result) but I felt their explanations were often weak. But they did supply more study material in addition to the test then the others. The Transcender tests were fine but I preferred more questions and less flash cards (personal choice again). They just didn't "light me up" :biggrin . The PrepLogic was interesting because the tests and questions are good (and often hard). Their explanations are usually better than uCertify (IMHO). I also did the MeasureUp (which came with the ExamCram book). They were a freebie with my second reference. You do have a second reference don't you? I find having a second way of considering material to often be helpful. I won't use the MeasureUp as my first choice but what-the-heck they came with the book! The one major vendor missing in all of this is Boson and that is my fault. I didn't find out about them until after joining this forum and I had already lined up my materials :cry: But it looks like Michael is going to fix that because I'll probably be looking at their Security+ materials. He wants me to give them a fair shake (and of course a good review :p). I'm looking forward to that because many on this forum like their materials (including of course Michael and Josh :clap )

So the choice is yours. I agree with GBL above in that you should try all the demos you can to see what grabs you the best! I hope this answer is not too long :soz

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  6. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Nice post Chuckles :) Impulse buy from me already for 1 x Sec+. I'm an impatient ass hole sometimes.... signed up for reviewing Boson Sec+ but fed up of waiting with nothing to be practicing :) lol

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

OOhhhhh I likes the Security+ Cram Sheet..... sexy..... :p

Going to have to get that printed I think. Already purchased and installed the Preplogic tests too. I tend to check the answers immediately after answering whether I know it or not to get a refresh. Not sure if the exams you pointed to do that or just have a right/wrong with no feedback. From experience with other online sites they don't tend to.

Thanks for pointing out the Cram sheet. Was going to make a reference guide to the quick stuff but that'll do nicely.

Appreciated :)

9. Sparky

No probs mate, I'm thinking about taking the Security+ as well before the CompTIA recertify policy kicks in.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Yeah; that's why I've decided to do it now too.

Want to get it out the way and then go on to MCITP Server Admin. Ought to be fun!

11. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

.... and typically the Boson key has just came through! lmao.

Ah well, atleast now I get to try out two test engines and see how they compare :)

12. Sparky

lol! Should be enough to keep you going until the exam mate. :biggrin

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Patience, patience... 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!